1986 Cressida Transmission problem

Hi My 1986 Toyota Cressida auto transmission has just started acting up. In drive it will just rev up but will work ok if I drop it into 2nd gear. Does anyone have any experience with the Cressida tranny? Thanks for any input Gary

Reply to
Gary

The clutch pack and/or brake bands are worn out. Like the brake pads these things wear and no longer hold the packs/bands. Then they slip.

You can always try replacing the fluid AND strainer. Clean the pan, add properly amount of ATF. See how it goes.

Reply to
johngdole

Next time it happens check the oil level immediatly, mine went real high indicating a blockage when that happened, I changed the oil and filter even though it only had 5000 on it and it fixed the issue. I would do a full change anyway.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to change the fluid and add an additive that my mechanic recommended. He will clean the screen, as he says there is no filter in this one. Then we will drive it for a few days and see what happens. Thanks everyone. Gary

Reply to
Gary