1986 Toyota pickup - sudden idle problems

I was performing the 90K mile maintenance on my 1986 Toyota pickup, and decided to run some Sea Foam through it just to be sure everything was clean. I poured about 1/4 of the can slowly into the carburetor of the warmed up (and running) engine. It then coughed, backfired through the carburetor, blew out smoke and died. It restarted, but since then it won't idle at all, but will stay running very roughly if I give it lots of gas.

I read somewhere else that Sea Foam can screw up the sparkplugs. So I took all of them out and cleaned and inspected them. No change. The engine will start but then die immediately unless I give it a lot of gas and keep my foot on the pedal. As soon as I let my foot off of the pedal, the engine sputters and dies.

Did the Sea Foam cause this? I'm very disgusted, because the engine was running fine beforehand. Next time I'll leave well enough alone.

Jason

Reply to
jasonamiller

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sure sounds as if what you did was the direct cause of your present problem, if you hadn't experienced it before. Occasionally such things happen, when you try to make something better and it screws things up.

(For example, if you try always to agree with your wife, and one day she asks " I think these slacks make my butt look big.......what do you think?" and you forget and agree with her as usual.)

Reply to
mack

Had a similar problem with my 86 PU as well. It was sitting for a while, then I needed to use it. It started fine, left the house and was a block away, when I remembered I had to bring something. So I parked the truck and stopped the engine since my house keys are on the same ring. When I started the truck again it would not hold idle, unless the gas pedal was pressed slightly. I had to use the truck, so I drove it with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake at stops, or else the engine would die.

I tried to use carb cleaner and did all checks, but could not find anything wrong or out of adjustment. An old mechanic neighbor also looked at it and recommended I have the carb rebuilt. I figured after 20 years it's probably due for a rebuilt. I recently rebuilt the heads and timing set. I took it to a local carb shop and they rebuilt it for $150. Ever since it's been running great.

Chances are the jets are clogged, and the only way to clean and adjust them correctly is to rebuilt the carb. Also change your spark plugs, even though you cleaned them they might not be still firing correctly. $5 for a set of NGKs is not whole lot.

Good Luck!

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

It sure sounds like either the Sea Foam or your application indirectly caused the problem. The backfire may have damaged or clogged something in the carburetor. Look for a small circular window on the side of the carburetor. The window's "frame" has notches on each side. The fuel level should be pretty even with the notches. If not, then the float may be messed up (works like a toilet tank float). It is also possible that the backfire sent debris that clogged a jet or port.

Reply to
Ray O