1986 Toyota Tercel Heater Fan

Hello My 1986 Toyota Tercel heater fan quit today. I am a student and bought the car 3 months ago. I am very pleased with it, but it did not come with a manual. I need help as it is going to be -27 degrees on Friday! Is it a fuse or a resistor? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reply to
Shan

There is no easy way to tell why the fan does not work without actually looking at the car. Possible causes are a bad resistor pack, bad fuse, bad relay, bad fan, or bad switch. If you have a volt meter or test light and are ready to diagnose and repair yourself, post back here for some hints or go to

and look at their on-line manuals to see if what they have covers your car and problem.

Reply to
Ray O

I'm just curious, but how good does a heater actually do in negative zero weather such as -27? It's never been that cold before here in KS, the lowest it gets is maybe a few below zero.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Is it possible that the OP lives in Canada where -27=B0 C would be about

-15=B0 F? Still cold! Yes, car heaters do work at those temps but take a little longer to get going.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

weather such as -27? It's never been that cold before

I drove thru Utah one night in a 80's Corolla when it was around -5f degrees in something they called freezing fog.

The heater was fine but under the hood looked pretty wild. The entire firewall was a chunk of ice as was all but the center of the radiator!

But we were warned not to turn off the engine for even a minute or the charging system would fail. I found out the hard way it was true when I forgot and shut it off at the gas pump. When I walked in the attendant started yelling at me "OMG run back out there and start the engine quick!" But it was to late and for whatever reason it took out the voltage regulator.

Lucky for me it was almost dawn so I could make it home to California running off the battery.

Reply to
Danny G.

-15° F? Still cold! Yes, car heaters do work at those temps but take a little longer to get going.

Actually -27C would be equal to -16.6F according to

Then again, when it's that freaking cold it doesn't matter so much. It's just plain freaking cold.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

I have seen mornings that were -25=B0 F. My Prizm started and I did get heat from the heater after a while. I notice however that when coasting down hill, the engine cools off enough so you lose some of the heat. I have given up skiing now so I don't go out when it's that cold.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

i agrea with rayo you need a test light or volt meter i don't think it's the resister because you would still have high speed so i believe it's one of three thins the motor itself the switch or the circuit breaker.something you can do yourself is turn the car on and the htr motor to high speed go to the htr motor and top it with a small hamer or stick if that stats it it means the brushes in the motor are sticking or getting low. replace motor.if not find the circuit breaker usually behind the rt front kick panell it's round wit a very small hole in it you can use a small tool or nedle to push in to reset the breaker other than that it's the test the cicuits with the tools

Reply to
MASTER-TECH