1987 Corolla Sr5-Carburetor and other problems..

i have a 1987 corolla sr5, and i?ve experienced acceleration lag, irratic idle, backfires.. you name it. i bought a carburetor rebuild kit for my carb, but that hardly scratched the surface on solving my problems. it runs "better," but it?s far off from running "correctly." the car should idle around 650 rpms when warm (according to Chilton?s), but instead, it idles around 1,000 to 1,400. any lower, and it stalls. i?ve replaced all of the hoses connecting to the carburetor, and fastened them more securely than the ones before were. this helped a little bit. the car still runs rich, still backfires, and the idle is still irratic. i?m not sure whether or not to tackle the fuel lines or what, but if anybody has any idea what could help me solve my problem... i?d really appriciate it!

Reply to
cowboy

I'm trusting you reset the float, cleaned the needles and all the little jets in the carb when you had it apart?

Reply to
hachiroku

"hachiroku" wrote: > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:54:18 -0500, cowboy wrote: > > > i have a 1987 corolla sr5, and i?ve experienced acceleration > lag, > > irratic idle, backfires.. you name it. i bought a carburetor > rebuild > > kit for my carb, but that hardly scratched the surface on > solving my > > problems. it runs "better," but it?s far off from running > > "correctly." the car should idle around 650 rpms when warm > > (according to Chilton?s), but instead, it idles around 1,000 > to 1,400. > > any lower, and it stalls. i?ve replaced all of the hoses > connecting to > > the carburetor, and fastened them more securely than the > ones before > > were. this helped a little bit. the car still runs rich, > still > > backfires, and the idle is still irratic. > > i?m not sure whether or not to tackle the fuel lines or > what, but if > > anybody has any idea what could help me solve my problem... > i?d really > > appriciate it! > > I'm trusting you reset the float, cleaned the needles and all > the little > jets in the carb when you had it apart?

the carb is completely clean. didn?t do much with the float though.. but most of the internals of the carburetor didn?t seem to be in too bad shape. it was a basic rebuild kit; not TOO extensive, but it did solve a few problems. earlier today, i checked some fuel lines and found that one of the previous owners tried to apply silicone to a crack and wrap duct tape around it in attemps to seal it; a failed effort. i replaced the line, and noticed an immediate overall improvement. however, the idle is still irratic and i cannot get the car to idle below 1,000 rpms..

Reply to
cowboy

Yeah, again I'd check the floatr level. You made some changes, miniscule tough they may be, when you installed the kit. The float needs to be checked and the needle valve may need clening with carb cleaner.

One other thing, and this bites me in the butt, too; check this before anything else. It has been mentioned elsewhere here (to you?) about the vacuum hose thingy (I love getting technical!) that attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner housing. They come loose when you remove the air cleanerand cause problems similar to what you're describing. Check that tube before you do anything.

Reply to
hachiroku

"hachiroku" wrote: > On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 15:33:14 -0500, cowboy wrote: > > > "hachiroku" wrote: >  > > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 13:54:18 -0500, cowboy wrote: >  > > >   > > > i have a 1987 corolla sr5, and i?ve > experienced acceleration >  > > lag, >   > > > irratic idle, backfires.. you name it. i > bought a carburetor >  > > rebuild >   > > > kit for my carb, but that hardly scratched > the surface on >  > > solving my >   > > > problems. it runs "better," but it?s far > off from running >   > > > "correctly." the car should idle around 650 > rpms when warm >   > > > (according to Chilton?s), but instead, it > idles around 1,000 >  > > to 1,400. >   > > > any lower, and it stalls. i?ve replaced all > of the hoses >  > > connecting to >   > > > the carburetor, and fastened them more > securely than the >  > > ones before >   > > > were. this helped a little bit. the car > still runs rich, >  > > still >   > > > backfires, and the idle is still irratic. >   > > > i?m not sure whether or not to tackle the > fuel lines or >  > > what, but if >   > > > anybody has any idea what could help me > solve my problem... >  > > i?d really >   > > > appriciate it! >  > > >  > > I'm trusting you reset the float, cleaned the > needles and all >  > > the little >  > > jets in the carb when you had it apart? > > > > the carb is completely clean. didn?t do much with the float > though.. > > but most of the internals of the carburetor didn?t seem to > be in too > > bad shape. it was a basic rebuild kit; not TOO extensive, > but it did > > solve a few problems. earlier today, i checked some fuel > lines and > > found that one of the previous owners tried to apply > silicone to a > > crack and wrap duct tape around it in attemps to seal it; a > failed > > effort. i replaced the line, and noticed an immediate > overall > > improvement. however, the idle is still irratic and i cannot > get the > > car to idle below 1,000 rpms.. > > Yeah, again I'd check the floatr level. You made some changes, > miniscule > tough they may be, when you installed the kit. The float needs > to be > checked and the needle valve may need clening with carb > cleaner. > > One other thing, and this bites me in the butt, too; check > this before > anything else. It has been mentioned elsewhere here (to you?) > about the > vacuum hose thingy (I love getting technical!) that attaches > to the bottom > of the air cleaner housing. They come loose when you remove > the air > cleanerand cause problems similar to what you're describing. > Check that > tube before you do anything.

i DID in fact check the hose, and it?s in fine condition. the fuel lines, however, had some cracks.. i cut off as much as i could of the line to remove the cracks, and re-installed them. much improvement. the vacuum hose though, does need to be replaced and fitted with either a smaller hose or one of the same size with a clamp; i?ve run out of clamps. i want to avoid taking the carburetor out if i can, for a while. it took several hours to remove because the mounting bolts are so difficult to reach. but the entire carb was cleaned with carb cleaner using a small brush and water.

Reply to
cowboy

Before you waste more time, invest in a vacuum gauge. You can put an end to the guessing.

Reply to
Ray O

Hmmm...sounds like you definitely covered all the bases...

This is about where my knowledge of Carb'd fuel systems expires (uh, I haven't HAD more than these problems!)

Reply to
hachiroku