1987 tercel wagon 2WD....

I need a back window seal and cant seem to find one ....in the near future i will need door gaskets and stuff like thjat to restore it. i am buying a 4WD tomorrow so now ill have two to restore

Any ideas where to find it?

Reply to
lollypop

Damn I just scrapped an '83 at the beginning of Autumn...of course, *after* I scrap it there have been a few people looking for parts!

Had an '83 AWD wagon. Freebie, needed a bit of body work. Did it once, painted it bright yellow, and then 2 years later needed more. These things did have a tendancy to rust quite a bit. Too bad, the car had 210K and ran extremely well. I really liked it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well that sure is a shame......I found one in a junkyard here localy(they are very few here) but it has very few useable parts....I bought a Aug '84 4WD SR5 yesterday... I'm in love...now I need to learn about this little beauty...... by the way the 4Wd is in damn good shape and I only give 600 bucks. I heard of a fella today that has one that got flooded (we live in South Mississippi where Hurricane Katrina hit) Ima get with him tomorrow and see if he needs someone to haul off that "flooded junk" clutering his yard...heheheheh

If anyone knows where to get a seal for that window I still need one

------Justin-----

Reply to
lollypop

Do you have an Auto or the "6"-speed? I had the 6-speed with the mechanical AWD, and although it would go into AWD very easliy, you had to take it out before you hit dry pavement or it was a biotch! I really liked the car, but the rust situation was just too bad. I was given the car, and spent about $350 in materials and about 65 hours repairing the body, and then abother $300 for exhaust and shocks and brakes. I got a couple years out of it. Fun car to drive!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well I have a 6 speed but mine says 4WD not AWD.....now I'm new to these maybe I dont know the difference (They need a newbie's owners manual for theses cars) I had the damn car 3 days before I figured out how to get it in EL I thought the thing was broke. sometime tomorrow Im gonna take pics of both my cars the 2WD and the 4WD SR5 so you fellas can see 'em. If I get the flooded one It wont be a whole lot of use for me for the most part b vut I figured you fellas could use some parts too....theyre gettin harder to find old toyota parts anymore...

I checked my 4WD out the other day to see if it worked by backin out into a mud hole (in 2WD) where the big trucks had been playin till it got stuck then popped it in 4WD and EL ......BA BAM....right outta the hole it came like it was on asphalt. Go figger a Mississippi Redneck in a Tercel 4WD.

-----Justin-----

Reply to
lollypop

YEah, you gotta be in 4WD in order to access the EL. And you're right! I was just about plowing snow with the damn thing! I had a friend with a 4WD truck and a winch standing by, and I never got stuck! These were great little cars; perhaps a tad underpowered but great nonetheless!

But, like I said, the rust was horrendous! Mine came from Texas and was only here 5 years, and it was still a rustbucket. I would have fixed it again but I was afraid the thing was so rusty that it would fold up in the case of a collision.

I have a '92 Grand Vayager AWD now. No danger of folding up there! Has an engine problem, but otherwise OK. And I can fit a LOT more band stuff in it than the Tercel.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I bet you can fit more in the van but I bet ya won't have as much fun...hahahah Ive been a big Toyota fan for years I have owned two trucks (75 and 79) and 4 celicas (75, 76,79,cant remember) compared to the 20R in those the tercel is a little weak hearted but it has spunk in other areas that make up for it

I cant wait till daylight so I can get out and play with my new toy......ota that is.

Is it sick for a 36 yr old daddy of three to be hyped over a little purple tercel?.....heheheheheh

-----Justin-----

Reply to
lollypop

Me, too...I only have Chryslers because someone gave them to me.

LOL!!!! You haven't been here long, have you? I am *NOT* the person you ought to be asking that question! I had my Tercel, AND an ''85 Corolla GTS, AND an '85 Celica GTS, and then went out and sold a '95 Tercel so I could buy an '88 Supra! I still have then all except fot the two Tercels.

I don't see a problem!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Nowt thats funny......and no I haven't been here long but I plan to stay awhile.especially if I can figger out some of the questions I have about the car (ex. replaceable strut/rebuildable, how to lift my wagon

2 or 3 inches) once I start getting these solved I'll be a lifer I think
Reply to
lollypop

I don't know if I'd lift it...it's pretty top heavy as it is. When I got mine it had oversized tires, and there was a sickening lean going around corners. But then, I rolled a car at 19, so I am a little more sensitive than most.

I went the other way...I plus sized the tires but went to a low profile tire. So, even though I was rinning 14's, the overall diameter was a little less than stock, with a very very small speedo error and the thing drove like it was on rails. BTW, I think, 1993, 94 or '95 Ford Escort 9 spoke alloy wheels will fit quite nicely on this car, and look a HELL of a lot better than the stock steel wheels that came with it! The only problem was that the 185/60-14 tires would rub the frame at full lock; I don't know if there was something wrong with my car; I checked it and a mechanic friend checked it...it looked normal, but BOY the wheels looke like they were damn near 90 degrees out of the wheel wells at full lock!!!! I never had to turn the wheel that far anyway! I put some Mastercraft Glacier Grips on it (a Blizzak Rip-Off) and there was no stopping it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well I have others things I need to do before I do the "purdy" things, so it will be a little before I lift if I do

Do you know how to tell whether one of these cars have the rebuildable struts or not?

Reply to
lollypop

Don't bother! Throw some KYBs or Bilsteins in and get some handling!

Reply to
Rolling for Concubines

what would be the purpose of that?....would it be better than the original design?

what if I want to lift the car 2 inches while im replacing...what is the best way to do this?

The way I figger it is: Taller springs in the front....but from where/what other model auto? In the back ....longer shocks

Am I close?

Another thing, I read somewhere about spacing the from beam....is this feasable?

-----Justin-----

Reply to
lollypop

The original design was oil-filled tubes. KYBs and Bilsteins are gas filled. Gas responds quicker and is stiffer, but the ride doesn't suffer too much.

And I'd be afraid to raise this car...

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Well I dont totaly diagree with your fear to lift this baby .....when you vere from the original design design of something it can no long be

100% as safe as it was....

BUT, being that we have a 4WD it would be pretty hard to fully enjoy a Terc with with 13" radial street tires wrapped around your wheels.

I figger some owners are wanting to ride the desert, some want it in snow and some fellas(like me) want it down a wet muddy pig trail where a little ground clearance and 14" mud grips would make the play a whole lot easier and loads more fun.

Im not sure the safest way to do this but you can bet I will figger it out

I have opposing thumbs so9 I think I can do it

-----Justin-----

Reply to
lollypop

When I saw your last response I said to myself, "He wants to take it boggin'!!"

14" are what I had on it, but I didn't raise the suspension. It ran well with 14's on it!

LOL!!!

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Yea I tried to cover my boggin' tendencies but I guess its obvious

Really though I'll bogg some with lotsa trail ridin not really huntin for a hole ....mainly because after spendin this much time on my Terc I dont wanna screw it up

what size 14's did ya have on ya car?......Ive looked all over town and can find a damn 14" mudder anywhere.

hey go check out my post at Tercel4WD.com about my ideas on lifting you might find it interesting lemme know what ya think.

-----Justin-----

Reply to
lollypop

I had Mastercraft GlacierGrips, a Blizzak ripoff. Good for Snow and Ice, not sure about mud...

Reply to
Vash The Stampede