1987 Toyota Corolla Idle Problem

I was just playing around with a new CD player trying to put it in and that, I couldn't get it to work, then when I went to start the car it was idling fine, I gave it a few revs at the start to get her going then after that it just cut out. Now it won't idle at all, I've tried playing with the accelerator response thinger to see if it was loose or something and the idle speed, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Also My 2 front fans aren't working at all. This is problem the reason why it's not idling.

Any tips or suggestions on what I can do/look for to fix it, before I have to cart it off to a mechanic?

Thanks.

-Jim

Reply to
seraphicness

Also I forgot to add that it is a Manual with an auto-choke.

Reply to
seraphicness

If the car idled fine before you started working on the CD player, I would check every wire you touched to make sure it is not cut or nicked.

I am not sure what you mean by "accelerator response thinger." Since you say that the car has an auto choke, I assume that the engine is carbureted. See if the choke sets when starting. To set the choke depress the throttle pedal fully and release. The butterfly valve inside the carburetor should be blocking off the opening.

Check the air filter to make sure it is not clogged. Look at the sight glass on the side of the carburetor to make sure that the fuel level is between the marks on the metal frame of the sight glass.

Check for vacuum leaks.

Reply to
Ray O