1989 4-Runner Ignition Switch

I need to replace the ignition switch. I got the instruction - put key and turn to ACC position and push the pin to release the switch. I cannot find the pin. The switch has the black round button you push for release the key. I push this and nothing. Can someone tell me where this switch release pin is? I was told by Toyota (phone) that I am suppose to push a nail through a hole to release it. I can not fine such a hole. Help please. Thanks.

Reply to
cmarina98

You have to remove the shroud from around the steering column to access the release mechanism. There should be a number of Philips head screws visible from underneath the column.

Reply to
Hachiroku

The shroud is off. Where are these Phillips head screws? Is the release pin/hole near these screws. Near the ignition switch. I can not find any holes/pins anywhere near the ignition switch. I am assuming I need to look at locations at the right side of the steering column. Thanks.

Reply to
cmarina98

Insert the key in the ignition lock cylinder and turn the key to the ACC position. The release hole should be on top of the lock housing in line with the top teeth of the key near the end of the key where the teeth end. The hole is only about the diameter of a paper clip wire.

Reply to
Ray O

Yeah, I meant to remove the shroud. It didn't sound like you had removed it! ;)

You need to put the key in the IGN switch, and look around the collar that goes around the lock mechanism. You'll see a pinhole, stick a wire brad or small nail in and pull the key.

If this don't help, call back later. I think I have an IGN switch in my bag of tricks I can take a look at...

Are you changing the door locks as well? It's a pain to carry two keys. I bought a complete lockset for my Corolla after it was stolen and they wrecked the door lock and the IGN switch. It was $70 more...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The shroud is off. I checked the entire ignition housing except for the top which is covered by the turn signal assembly. I could not find any pin old in the aluminum housing. I did find a pin hold through the turn signal assembly. I inserted a heavy wire through it and with the key turned to ACC. Nothing. The location of the pin hole does line up with the key and approximately at the end of the key. I must be missing something. I'll look into other locks only after I got this fixed. Thanks.

Reply to
cmarina98