1989 celica strut replacement

hey all I have a 89 celica st and need to replace the front struts. I can only get the strut inserts around here so it looks like I am going to have to disect the strut its self. I dont want to twist the strut shell (for lack of better terms) but am thinking that if I put the whole strut in a vice I will crush the shell and not get the insert out. . Any ideas on how to do this? THANK YOU Steve

Reply to
seeray28(steve)

If you are talking about using a vice to remove the strut from the spring, that is very dangerous and is likely to result in either bodily injury or property damage. The safest way to remove the strut from the spring is with a wall-mounted strut spring compressor.

The insert should be mounted like a shock absorber inside the assembly.

Reply to
Ray O

im talking about after I remove the spring, I have the spring compressor AND safety chains (you only need one spring to jump on ya and you will NEVER do the job without the safety chains). Apparently there is a lock nut on top of the strut housing that has to be removed before the inserts can come out.What I am worried about is:

1 destroying the housing where the lock nut screws into the housing due to rust and what not, so how would I go about removing the locknut ? 2 destroying the housing trying to hold it still so I can get the locknut out.
Reply to
seeray28(steve)

IIRC KYB make full replacement gas struts.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

======================== How do the safety chains connect?

Reply to
nospampls2002

I think is use the penetrating oil - tap, repeat many times method to remove the lock nut if it is rusted.

AFAIK, there are no special tricks.

Reply to
Ray O

Never heard of it but i presume they just clip around the spring and back to the wall/floor/other heavy object?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

well after a little bit of cusssing the job went VERY EASY

Reply to
seeray28(steve)

did you go yhe junkyard route?

seeray28(steve) wrote: