1989 Toyota Tercel, Muffler Problem-Believed-Please assist.

I own a 1989 Toyota Tercel, with a possible muffler problem, which needs to be solved soon, because the Safety Inspection Sticker Expires June, 2008.

Here is what the car does:

=>Very Load engine, sounding like a World War One fighter plane engine. =>Often Requires pressure placed on the gas, with foot on the brake, to stop the engine from dying at red lights etc. =>Runs great on highways.

If this is a Muffler problem, can I fix this without a welder, by replacing the muffler with a wrench or socket set etc. ?

OR, what do you suggest, and believe this problem is? This is an older car, but I save a lot of money by driving this car.

Hope to hear from you, a person who knows the answer to my question soon.

Thank You.

Reply to
George1961

I think your car has more than one problem. The loudness is probably from a hole in the exhaust system somewhere, either in the muffler or in the flex pipe. The original and most replacement parts are bolt-on, however, the bolts are likely to be very rusty and will need to be cut off and replaced.

The engine dying may be from improper idle speed, improper ignition timing, bad spark plugs or ignition wires or rotor or cap, or a dirty air flow sensor, a vacuum leak, or a hole in the intake tube between the air filter housing and throttle body.

Reply to
Ray O