1990 Toyota Camry, check-engine light comes on, car doesn't accellerate, stalls

Threaded View

My car runs, but sometimes, not every time I drive it, the check engine
light comes on, and the car won't accelerate when I step on the gas, and
sometimes it dies, and won't start again right away. I have to just sit and
wait. Then, all of a sudden, it starts just fine, light goes out , and it
runs fine for a while. It happens infrequently. It wouldn't do it when I
had it at a shop recently to have the starter replaced. When I drove off,
the light came on, but car did not die then. 15 minutes later light came
on, car stopped accellerating (on a busy highway!)for a few sec's, then
light went off, and it would run normal. Could it be the ignitor? Some
loose connection? I really can't afford to put it in the shop on a
diagnostic machine, Can anyone help me out?

Re: 1990 Toyota Camry, check-engine light comes on, car doesn't accellerate, stalls

Need to have the codes read, then we will talk

--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician

How do I have the codes read?
thanks

Re: 1990 Toyota Camry, check-engine light comes on, car doesn't accellerate, stalls

Jumped the circuts in the little grey diagnostic box under the hood, The
check engine light falshed twice, then flashed twicw again, like . . . .
"flash  flash (break) flash flash", and would repeat this sequence. The
temp. gauge on the panel is not working, but that is not causing the car to
do what it is doing. I am going to disconnect the battery cables, and read
the codes again. still need help finding what's wrong with the car.
thanks

Re: 1990 Toyota Camry, check-engine light comes on, car doesn't accellerate, stalls

code 22, "flash-flash . .flash-flash", etc., etc.,?????

Re: 1990 Toyota Camry, check-engine light comes on, car doesn't accellerate, stalls

Um - it could unfornutately be almost anything, but the
MAF is the first thing I'd look at, along with a dead
02 sensor.

I noticed a thread there about some guy complaining that
because a Crown Vic going 20mph hit his son's car and
totalled it, he'd not going to buy another Toyota.

Just figuring out the impact forces 5-10mph, 20mph
for the two cars, and the weight difference, it's
like smacking head-on into a wall with that Matrix
at 40mph or so.

Heh.  I'd carry full coverage and count myself as
very lucky.

"Joan McCrackin via CarKB." wrote:
 > My car runs, but sometimes, not every time I drive it, the
 > check engine
 > light comes on, and the car won't accelerate when I step on
 > the gas, and
 > sometimes it dies, and won't start again right away. I have to
 > just sit and
 > wait. Then, all of a sudden, it starts just fine, light goes
 > out , and it
 > runs fine for a while. It happens infrequently. It wouldn't do
 > it when I
 > had it at a shop recently to have the starter replaced. When I
 > drove off,
 > the light came on, but car did not die then. 15 minutes later
 > light came
 > on, car stopped accellerating (on a busy highway!)for a few
 > sec's, then
 > light went off, and it would run normal. Could it be the
 > ignitor? Some
 > loose connection? I really can't afford to put it in the shop
 > on a
 > diagnostic machine, Can anyone help me out?

Same problem here..
My 1989 Toyota Camry LE w/just a 100,000 miles on it
Will not accelerate, starts up just fine, then I tried to move in 1
and 2nd, gear still wonít go, then 10 minutes later it goes.
Plus I have to go down now and see where it is leaking from...
First time Iíve had a leak.

Let me know if you found out how to fix the acceleration problem, very
scary if it stops going when youíre making a left onto a busy street!

Thanks
(Iím new, my first post)

Re: 1990 Toyota Camry, check-engine light comes on, car doesn't

I just had a new tranny put in last fall, started out doing what yours is
doing.

Site Timeline