1991 Cressida won't start

I've checked the battery and there was no problem there. It showed full charge and yes, got a full tank of gas.

The funny thing was that if I just hold my key while I start the car, eventually the engine will try to turn. Before that I can hear a quite turning sound. I wonder if that's the starter and I just need to replace the ignition coil? Or do I need to replace both?

Reply to
james777

I assume you mean the starter coil. The "quiet turning sound" is likely the starter motor turning without being engaged in the engine.

The starter and starter solonoid come together as a unit. If you're lucky, that's all thats wrong. If you're not quite so lucky, the teeth on the flywheel are gone.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Thanks for responding so quickly. Is there a way for me to do a quick check if the fly wheel is still intacted? I want to at least know how much it's gona cost.

Reply to
james777

Two bolts hold the flywheel cover to the bellhousing on the transmission. You can take them off and look. Better yet, just take off the starter since that's more likely the culprit anyway. Look ad the teeth on the flywheel with a mirror.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

The starter contacts are known to go out on those cars. Perhaps you can start there.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Known to go out? Bullshit.

Reply to