1991 Toyota Corolla - I want to make a pc interface for the ECU

I've wanted to make a little toy for quite some time now, but I'm having trouble locating information on my car.

I've got a 1991 Toyota Corolla. I would like to make an interface that can read from the ECU to get current speed and fuel consumption so that I can display an instant view of current fuel economy.

I know some of the newer corolla's have this feature, as do thousands of other cars, but I'm not sure if this model year had that option.

In the end, I would like to create a small screen that displays the current MPG I'm attaining, and perhaps an average.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ryan

Reply to
RyanHullShow

If the car is a 1996 model year or later, most of the information you would want would be available through an OBD II interface and scanner like this:

The ECU in your car does not actually monitor fuel consumption so assuming know which signal is the injector signal and can calculate fuel volume delivered based on injector pulse width, it would theoretically be possible determine instantaneous fuel economy. Based on the cost and time needed to come up with the information, it would be easier and cheaper to purchase an OBD II compliant vehicle and get an off-the-shelf computer.

Reply to
Ray O

vacuum gauge used to be the way it was done.

Reply to
SoCalMike