1992 Camry 6 cyl XLE stalls

Hi,

I am having a problem which I tried to search for but no related topic found.

My car has 162k miles, we've had it since 86k miles, most of these miles have been highway miles (from 86k to today)

Whenever I out the car in reverse the RPM drops and sometimes the engine stalls. Sometimes even when stopped, idleing, the engine stalls. Showed to to a few mechanics, everyone say something new, this stupid mechanic just raised the idle causing higher RPM and high fuel consumption, even harder to brake!! despite him raising the RPM, its still stalling sometimes in reverse and at traffic lights, I have to shift it into neutral.

I have noticed that as soon as I start the car for the 1st time in the day, I dont have this problem for some time, as soon as I have driven it for a while, it starts stalling!!! so basically in the first 10-15 mins in the morning or initial driving, it usually does not cause trouble! later in the day or driving after the intial 10-15 mins it causes this problem!

I hope I have elaborated enough and I hope somone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Mehdi

Reply to
cifp48

[...]

Assuming that you are not getting a check engine light, here are some things to check:

1) check the intake air tubing from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body, especially on the underside for cracks or holes. 2) check the air filter by shining a light behind it. You should be able to see the light through the filter. If you cannot see light, it is clogged and needs replacement. 3) check the wire in the mass air flow sensor were the air comes out of the air filter compartment and make sure it is not coated with gunk. If it is, carefully clean with carburetor cleaner. 4) check the idle air control valve operation. you may have to do some searching for the procedure for this or post another question about this if necessary.
Reply to
Ray O

Why not take, you car to your Toyota dealer? They have factory trained techs that can diagnose and repair it properly and will guarantee their work. Why waste money as a parts changer on behalf of the guys that hang in the NGs? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thank you all. I really aprpeciate your inputs, will try these and report back!

cheers

Reply to
cifp48

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I have not really done the EGR checking yet, will do so this weekend.

Just wanted to add a point.

The car stall most when in gear, as soon as the RPM drops I shift to Neutral and that prevents the stall most of the time, when in reverse it is more common.

Another thing, it failed the emissions test, Could it still be EGV valve??

Thanks

Reply to
cifp48

Yes.