1992 Corolla steering noise

Lately I notice the steering wheel makes noise when making turns. It seems like it's within the car not in the engine area and I don't feel any difference holding the steering wheel in turns. It sounds more like plastic rubbing something (superficial sounds). I'm hesitant to just squirt oil in the plastic openings. At this point I don't think it's serious but is there anything I can / should do?

thanks.

Reply to
observer

Usually the lube in the wheel dries up where electrical contacts where the rotating and stationary parts meet. Mostly you hear squeals and squeaks from under wheel. There may be different designs but in general clean it and lube it helps.

If outside, check the belt tension first.

Reply to
johngdole

If the noise is coming from the opening between the back of the steering wheel and the steering column, give it a small shot of aerosol lithium grease or dielectric grease.

If the noise is a squealing sound from under the hood, check the power steering pump drive belt as johngdole suggested.

If the noise is a knocking noise that you can feel in the steering column, check the steering column u-joint, steering rack, rack ends, and ball joints.

Reply to
Ray O

Based on what I hear, I'd say this above is the problem and possible cure. I presume I just squirt this into the space between the steering wheel and the steering column ? Is this safe to do considering the electrical stuff within it ?

thanks.

Reply to
observer

Yes, I think this describes it. Thanks. See my post about 2 minutes ago.

Reply to
observer

Pop the cover off the steering column, the Phillips head screws are on the bottom half of the cover, inside 4 or 6 deep little holes. Bottom half of the column cover usually goes straight down and comes clear, top one has to be wiggled around to clear the ignition lock and the hazard flasher switch, and then slide the tail end out from under the dashboard.

Get an inspection mirror (because your neck doesn't bend that way unless you are half giraffe...) and you can see exactly where the horn ring and horn brush are, and see how to clean the ring off with a "technical wiper" (fancy foam version of a Q-Tip) and a bit of rubbing alcohol while turning the wheel to get all the way around. Followed by a dab (or short spray from a can) of white lithium grease, or silicone grease if you have it.

When the horn brush wears too short, cleaning won't help. $5 item at the dealer, and it's right there. Needle-nose pliers and a bit of patience getting the itty-bitty C-Clip off and on.

It shouldn't hurt anything, but you still don't want to just spray the lube into a blind spot at random. Wastes the lube, makes a mess.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman