1992 toyota corola battery brake waring lights on

When the brake and battery warning lights are on and my windshield wipers are moving very fast I replaced the alternator and put one of those new optima $200 battery's in and there still on (does anyone know what could be the problem.)

Reply to
loren

Bad switch, short ckt, water, etc. I would start at the rear of the car and disassemble the rear lights first...because it's easier. Getting to the switch is a pain...literally...

Reply to
Hachiroku

HI Is the switch located in the rear as well

Reply to
loren

Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running to confirm warning light illumination, normal voltage should be approximately 13.5 to 14.7 volts DC. The battery warning light should be extinguished if within those parameters. Make certain that the emergency brake handle is completely off, not just extended a slight amount. Do you mean that this condition only exists when the wipers on on fast? Does the vehicle have both the emergency brake warning light and brake system failure (lockout) light? The difference being one is in reference to the emergency brake handle and the other warning you of a failure of half of your brake system and fluid lockout. Check your manual if you are not sure. If it's the emergency brake light you probably have a short in that circuit. It's difficult to diagnose such a problem without a hands on check.

Reply to
user

When the warning lights are not on wipers,head lights and other electrical systems are dim or slower the battery I checked at 14.5 when car is running and at 13.7 when off

Reply to
loren

I'm sorry...it was early...I thought you meant your brake lights were on...

My Bad. Brake and battery indicators both on indicate a failure in the chargine ckt. Where did you get the alternator? I worked at a CarQuest, and one brand had such a high failure rate the manager refused to stock them anymore.

The regulator should be mounted on the alternator, it is possible they replaced a bad one with a bad one. You need to have the output from the alternator checked; also, check for a blown fusible link.

Reply to
Hachiroku

THANKS FOR HELPING ME Yes the alternator was purchased from pep boys it a nipen denso the one that I took off

Reply to
loren