1993 previa rear noise left side..help :)

I have a 1993 Previa that is making a grinding ( rumbling ) noise when I take a left turn. the noise is coming from the right rear end.I was just wondering if it could be bearings or lack of grease in the bearings??. The van has 140,000 original kilometers. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Kevin R

Reply to
diamondroad

Your subject lists rear noise from the left side and your post says that the noise is coming from the right.

If the noise is coming from the left, it is probably not wheel bearings. If the noise is coming from the right when making a left turn, the noise may be wheel bearings. Wheel bearings generally make noise whether the vehicle is going straight or turning, with the noise changing in pitch when turning, getting louder from the side opposite the direction of turn. In other words, when making a left turn, a bad right wheel bearing will get louder or higher pitched.

Other possibilities are rear brakes, axle, and differential bearings.

If you have rear disc brakes, make sure the backing plate is not rubbing against the rotor and check the pads for wear. If you have drum brakes, check them for proper adjustment, shoe wear, and brake dust accumulation.

If you have never had the differential fluid changed, it wouldn't hurt to do so and inspect the drained fluid for metal particles. Inspecting differential and axle bearings requires more skill and tools than the average owner.

Reply to
Ray O