1993 Tercel Burning Oil

Hey everone,

So this car has been burning oil ever since I bought it.. it doesn't seem to do it during normal driving conditions, but it does burn oil in the following conditions:

1) in the morning after a night or two of sitting there is a small puff out the exhaust 2) if sitting at idle for a period of about 15-20 minutes, there slowly is some smoky exhaust from the back.

I've been told that the problem is probably with the valve stem seals, as they were bad on 91-94 tercels.. I know it could also be the oil rings (but I'm told it's less likely on this car).

It's got 160k kilometers on it (100,000 miles), but has been doing this since about 120k (when I got it)..

Is there any way to determine what the exact cause is? If it's the valve stem seals, I'll change them myself.. If its the rings, I'm just gonna get rid of it.

Thanks, Duane

Reply to
Duane

Do a wet and dry compression test to rule out the rings.

Reply to
Ray O

But that really only checks the compression ring doesn't it (i.e. not the oil rings)?

Reply to
Duane

That's why you do dry and wet compression tests.

Reply to
Ray O

Here is what I have been told (corrections welcome):

Find a long hill and get going downhill at a good clip; remove your foot from the accelerator and coast for a while; then step hard on the accelerator. If you get a cloud of smoke out the exhaust, it is probably oil being sucked down the valve stems, indicating bad valve seals or guides.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Odds are it is the valve guide seals as it is a common problem in a high mileage engine american or foriegn. It is not something to realy get concerned about unless you are adding more than a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so.

Reply to
SnoMan

What concerns me isn't the puff of smoke... What does concern me that is about about 20 mins being stuck in traffic (i.e. at a border crossing, or when there's a traffic jam), it starts smoking.. after 30 mins it's enough to start annoying the ppl behind me.. If I'm going to sell the car, I'd really like to fix it, assuming it's not the rings (because I don't think that's a DIY job for me).

Reply to
Duane

1991-1994 12 valve 1.5 Liter engine had bad rings. I've seen about 5 of these already. Whoever told you it's LESS likely on this car had it backwards.

IF the car sits for a long time, how long does it take for the oil smoke to go away? If it is gone within 5 miles or so, it probably is the valve guides; if longer, or puffing under a load it is the oil rings. Obviosly, replacing the valve guide seals is going to be a LOT more cost efficient than the oil rings, and on a car this old, unless it is in REALLY good shape I'd be looking for a newer one.

Is it passing any inspections? If it is, then live with it! I've seen these things go 50-70,000 miles blowing oil like a Diesel!

Reply to
hachiroku

Never smokes under load.. Only on start up, and if idling for more than

15 minutes or so...
Reply to
Duane

Sounds like one of my former co-workers ;-)

Seriously, with those symptoms, I'd start by inspecting the valve stem seals.

Reply to
Ray O

Ok.. thanks for all your help (with the coolant system problem too!)... Gonna replace the valve stem seals on Saturday...

Reply to
Duane

Gee, I've sot two cars with valve stem seal problems, but neither one smokes after sitting more than 15 minutes at idle.

The Supra smoke like the dickens if it sits longer than a week! I mean a large, noticable cloud, but if I run it everyday it doesn't smoke at all.

Reply to
hachiroku