1993 Toyota Tercel w/30k miles -Should I Change Timing Belt

I have just bought a bare bones 1993 Toyota Tercel, with 4 speed and air, and absolutely nothing else. It is in excellent condition with less than 30K actual miles. I know the car's history and it was driven less than 1000 miles a year for the first 6 years and around 4000 per year since then. I will be driving it about 1000 miles per month, with about 35 to 40 percent of that being highway miles. The timing belt has never been changed on it. Should I have the timing belt changed because of the number of years even though it is recommended at 60k miles?

Reply to
hillcrest64

HachiRoku

If it was my car, I'd change the belt for exactly that reason, and peace of mind. Exceptionally low milage does not mean it won't have problems. Timing belts do harden with age. Its easy to decide. Pull the cover off and have a look at the outside and inside of the belt.

If the outside has any cracks or is shiny like its been varnished (rather than a smooth dull satin finish), or the inside has wear marks or cracking between the teeth, replace the belt. While you're there, check for any oil leaks from the cam seal.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I have had three different Toyota service managers tell me: no need to change the belt until the recommended mileage; age is not a factor. Mileage seems to be the only factor here.

Reply to
HachiRoku