1995 Corolla Doesn’t start

My battery in my 1995 Corolla checked okay but it will not start. I hear clicking noise when I turn on the ignition. Please advise.

Reply to
Boboy

How did you check the battery? Did you try jump-starting the car?

Reply to
Ray O

the power windows work and I can turn on the headlight.

"Ray O" wrote: >

"Boboy" wrote in message > news:988692 snipped-for-privacy@0000.com... > > My battery in my 1995 Corolla checked okay but it will not > start. > > I hear clicking noise when I turn on the ignition. Please > advise. > > How did you check the battery? Did you try jump-starting the > car? > -- > > Ray O > (correct punctuation to reply)

Reply to
Boboy

Sorry, all that means is that the battery has enough power to operate the power windows and turn on the headlights. It does not mean that the battery has enough power to start the car.

Try checking battery voltage, or jump starting the car or charging the battery first.

If that does not work, then check the starter solenoid contacts.

Reply to
Ray O

now thats funny, well the lights work! lol.

Reply to
Fr Corey

It is not uncommon for a battery to have enough power to illuminate the head lights but not enough to turn the engine. When diagnosing a car that will not turn over, first check battery voltage or try jump starting, then check the starter circuit.

Reply to
Ray O

lights but not enough to turn the engine. When

jump starting, then check the starter circuit.

Turn the key to start and toot the horn at the same time. If the horn sounds normal I think it's a safe bet there is more to the problem then just a weak battery.

My Supra does not get used very often so the battery is almost always undercharged. And I keep all the battery related tools right next to it plugged in and ready to use. But over the years by far the most reliable way for me to load test the battery's condition has been to just turn on the headlight's, turn the key to start, toot the horn and listen to the tone.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

There is an easy way to tell if the battery is weak or dead. Turn on the headlights and have some watch them when you try to crank the engine. If the headlights go OUT then the battery (or it's connections) is the problem. Normally the lights should go dim, but not out.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---