1995 toyota camry

HI All I am buying a used toyota camry, its 1995 make . It has issue with the relay switch that moves the window. One of the window does not roll down. any ideas wht could the problem and how much it cost to get it done? toyota owners..kindly sugest

Reply to
ksidharth

They usually are not too expensive to fix, but you have to track down the root problem first. This is not difficult, but it is time consuming and a bit of a logic puzzle. The window rolls down when you apply power to Terminal 1 of the window motor (and ground to Terminal

2), and it goes up when you reverse the polarity.

But before you do anything else, get a spray can of silicone lubricant and apply a small amount to the rubber channels that the windows slide up and down in - if the channels are dry or sticky, you can burn up a window motor fighting the friction. It only takes a small amount, and you need to carefully control where it goes, you might want to squirt a bit on a cotton swab applicator and swab the lubricant onto the channels with the windows down.

If the 'bad' window rolls down easily but not up (even after lubrication) this is usually caused by a dirty or burned contact in one of the switches. The 'Master' switch on the drivers door is always open - it only applies power and ground to the two wires to the wires heading to the motor as you push the switch. In other words, you have to test at the motor terminals both for presence of +12V power and presence of a chassis ground path, they are both switched.

If the wires are heading to a different door, they pass through a second switch on that door. If nobody is pushing the remote switch up or down, the 'master' switch power passes through the remote switch to the motor - and these contacts can go bad too, meaning the window motor works fine from the remote door switch but not from the Master.

It's hard to write out - but easy to understand from a picture or a repair manual. I could draw you a diagram, and then watch that little "Got It!" light over your head come on. Not Rocket Science at all.

Another common thing to check for on a very high mileage car (but it sounds like it's not your problem) are bad wires in the door jamb from the door to the body, where the wires bend every time the door is opened - if a window only works with one of the doors held halfway or all the way open, that's your symptom to look for.

Just have to take some time and splice fresh wires into the high-flex area between the door and body - and then waterproof and insulate the splices properly so they are not the failure point next time...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The most common reason that only one power window does not work is either the master switch on the driver's door or the switch on the door. The master switch is expensive, perhaps in the neighborhood of $300, the individual door switch is probably half that. If you are handy, you can try disassembling the switch and building up the worn connections.

Reply to
Ray O

Hi Bruce Thanx a lot for this detailed reply. As I am totally new to the world of auto, it gives me som eidea abt the proble. I took the car to the technician. As per the technician, the relay switch, which is there on the driver seat door needs to be replaced. the switch works fine for all other three doors, except for the front passenger seat. So it seems that the motors are working fine and he relay switch is also working fine for other three doors. My questions would be:

1) is it possible that there might be some issue with the electrical circuit? I am asking so because the switch works fine ofor other three doors. hence the switch moght be just fine, the technician might be just wanting to make his money by suggesting me a replacement. 2) is it possible to replace just one switch? i understand that there will be four switches, one for each door, controlled centrally by the switch at the driver's side? if it is so, then I need to just get that perticulay switch changed.

Reson why i am asking so is that the technician gave me an estimate of

450 dollars fo rthe repair, including the part replacement. the part is going ot cost me some 350 dollars.. i just wanted to check out if the part indeed needs to be replaced. pls let me knwo. thnx in advance.

Sid

Reply to
ksidharth

Hi Ray thax for this. As u hv mentioned, the master switch is expensive and that what the technician has suggested me to to do. The switch costs around $325. I was wanting to know if it is possible to replace the individual door switch. Any idea how much will it cost?

Sid

Reply to
ksidharth

Unfortunately, the master switch comes as an assembly - that is, the switches for the 4 windows, door lock, and window lock come as 1 piece. It is not possible to replace a part of the master switch.

To answer your question to Bruce, as far as I know, 1995 Camrys are not known to have wiring harness problems with the power windows.

I think the master switch fails most often if the person who drives it the most is a smoker or someone who drives with the window cracked open in the rain, and the rain drips in on the switch. If you are handy, you may be able to disassemble the switch and build up the contacts with some solder.

Reply to
Ray O

Or find one in a wrecking yard.

Ted