1996 avalon rain water in doors and truck

Have a rear door that gets water in it and it would not self drain. I run some wire through the drain holes and now the door drains. I really want to stop the water from getting in and the only thing I can think of is the black plastic molding at the bottom of the electric window some how is letting water in. The molding seems OK but what else could it be and would that be hard to replace my a DIY. Thanks

It is normal for some water to get into the door, which is why they have drain holes. Take a look at the weatherstrip - the black rubber between the door skin and the glass - with the window rolled up. The weatherstrip should be tight against the glass. If not, you can open the window and press in on the door skin but be carerul because you can end up with a large dent in the door. If the weatherstrip is torn or missinng, you can access it by removing the innoer door panel.

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry, I neglected to say I have same problem in the trunk more specify the wheel well on the gas cap side and water get into the spare tire well. I have tried using water paint on a seal (inside trunk on ridge in the license plate area) to track were its coming nothing conclusive. It also appear to me that the two leaks are independent (just guessing).

The leaks in your door and in your trunk are not related. As I mentioned before, your door is probably OK now. My guess is the clogged drain holes came from aftermarket rustproofing.

Water can get into the trunk several ways.

If the trunk lid does not evenly contact the gasket around the trunk perimeter, water can get in. Make sure the deck lid is not higher than the surrounding bodywork.

Make sure that the drain tube for the antenna is positioned in the grommet at the bottom of the trunk so it drains out of the trunk instead of in to the trunk.

Make sure that the drain tubes (one for each side) for the sunroof (if equipped with one) are positioned properly through the grommets in the undercarriage and not leaking into the trunk.

Make sure that all body plugs in the undercarriage are in place and properly positioned.

Reply to
Ray O