1996 corolla engine vibration

Hello, I need to work on my parents 1996 corolla w 165,000 miles (automatic tranny, 1.8). The problem has gotten progressively worse since ~120,000 miles. The engine vibrates at idle, both when cold and warmed up and in park or drive, seems to go away when driving. I suspect an engine mount(s). Is any particular mount prone to fail?, Or do I need to replace them all? All maintanance is up to date including timing belt, and ignition parts(all toyota brand).

any comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
mrmatrix

Someone else here recently changed motor mounts, presumably to cure the vibration problem. Before yo go that route, check idle speed in neutral and in drive and make sure the AC idle up circuit is working.

Reply to
Ray O

I just replaced the mounts on a 1.6. It does create lots of vibrations. At first it seemed the driver and passenger side mounts were just sagging, but I bought all 4 mounts to replace (cheaper on ebay for sure). I first replaced passenger/driver side mounts. Then I took the front mount out and it was very broken. I still need to do the rear mount , just haven't been able to spend time on it. And yes, the vibrations are a TON less. The difference between warm and cold amount of vibrations is probably due to the fact that the engine at cold runs a bit faster due to getting more fuel. Running at higher rpm might give out more vibrations which are transferred into the car if you have bad mounts.

Will you do it yourself? It's not that hard, at least the left/right and front ones.

Reply to
RT

hey mrmatrix,

Hope this isn't too late. Yeah it sounds like an engine mount. the front one on the ae101 is a bit dodgy. its just located above the cross member (behind the radiator. you can probably feel the mount and see if the rubber is moving too much or not. replacing it should be easy if you can use something to push the engine up (even a pully would do, just have the engine resting on the other three mounts). hope that helps.

mrmatrix wrote:

Reply to
Borzou.Shahsavand

I just did this on a 96 geo prizm. You do not need to push the engine up for the front or rear mount. the engine basically hangs on the left and right (drivers side/passenger side) mounts and the front and rear mount only prevent the engine from twisting. Any tips on the rear mount and how to remove it ? I couldn't get it out last time I tried.

Reply to
RT