1996 Toyota DX wont' start after 2 month in garage

Hi,

2, 3 month ago, my car started to have some problems, I'd hear a click, but the engine wouldn't start. I had to try that a few times before it'd started it again, at the time I didn't pay too much attention to it.

Then I was out for 2 month and the car has just been sitting there. I came back two days ago and today, I tried to start the car again, no click, nothing. I figured my battery was out, so I used my other car to jump start it, after 30 minutes of charging, same thing. At this point, I thought I had a dead battery and sure enough, took it to Auto Part, they confirmed it.

I bought a new battery home, installed it (I think I installed it correctly, altough on the positive side, I tried to screw it as tight as possible, but it's still a little loose... and during the process, one time my wrench touched something and sparks came out, but that shouldn't be a problem right?), anyway, so I tried to start the engine again, signle click again. treid it another 10 times, 10 more single click.

What could be the problem? I searched the forum and seemed like it might be the starter? or could it be the spark plug? (and I thought the spark plugs are the four things on top of the engine? I tried to pull away the rubbers on top, but it was so tight, I was afraid I'd break it, so I stopped)

Any suggestions is greatly appreicated it. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
Liming

The positive battery cable clamp has to be tight enough so that it does not wiggle at all.

The sparking thing can be a huge problem - possible consequences are an explosion or blown fuses or fusible link. Since you were getting clicking afterwards, you were probably lucky and no damage was done.

If you are getting a click, the contact in the starter solenoid are probably bad. I mean no offense, but if you are having difficulty changing a battery, then changing the contacts in the starter solenoid may be beyond the scope of your abilities and professional help may be in order.

Reply to
Ray O

The click usually means the relay is working, so if there's nothing at all from the starter motor it might be that, especially if thebattery is new. If you can get at the starter motor try giving it a solid whack with a big lump of wood - sometimes it just jams and can be loosened this way.

Barry

Lim> Hi,

Reply to
barryh46au

Lol., Thanks guys. Yeah, i think at this point, I'm completely out of options, need to get it towed and check out the starter, sucks! I'm very tempted to wack the starter, but i'm afraid to do more damage, thanks again.

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Liming

If the car has a manual transmission, push start it & save the towing charge.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

yeah, it's an auto, i can't get it to shift to neutral, otherwise, the car shop is liek 5 minutes away, i can at least tow it using my other car. :( too bad.

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Reply to
Liming

Oh well. That eliminates another thing that worked for me when my starter motor was on its last legs. I won't go into it, since it only works with a manual transmission.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Giving the starter a light tap with a hammer probably won't damage anything, unless your aim is bad.

Reply to
Ray O