1996 Toyota Tercel 2DR Drivers side door diagram??

Anyone know of a link that breaks the door down, need to replace my door handle and wanna know exactly where and what I'm pulling on....... ;0)

Reply to
ByTor

Which door handle are you trying to replace?

You can completely remove the inner panel and have access to the entire door with 5 or 6 screws and some good tugs from the bottom. There is a screw under the inner door latch (pull the latch and you'll see the screw) there are two in the arm rest, and I think another one in the 'cup' you use to close the door (it's been 4 years since I had one of these apart...) Look around, there may be a couple more, but they're easy to find.

After you have all the screws out, grasp the door panel from the bottom and pull. If you're more anal than I am, you can get a tool at t parts store you can use to go around the door and pull the clips; then pull out from the bottom and lift up and the panel will come off.

Remove the plastic and you can see everything. If you're replacing the outer door handle, you can do this without going through all that: there are a couple holes you can sneak a 10mm wrench through to get to the bolts. Hope you have patience, or a magnetic socket: expect to drop at least one bolt! ;)

Then you can pull the handle out a couple inches, just enough to reach a finger in and release the clips and rods. You'll see them. It's easy!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Drivers side door, I put it in the subject line as opposed to here, sorry...... ;0)

Ahhhh, I thought there were more things to remove. I seen the screw in the pull handle and managed to pull out all the bottom but that's as far as I got. I started to pull on the "cup" part and that's where I stopped...... ;0)

No easy way out here....(LOL) I'll remove the entire panel as I am a little anal with this car, it's in mint condition damn near and I wanna keep it that way......Thank you for your very descriptive help, I at least know where I should tug & not tug now.....Thanks a lot!

Reply to
ByTor

(I meant inner or outer....but that's OK...;)

IIRC, the screws are recessed into the underside of the arm rest, I don't believe they have pop-off covers on them.

I had a '95, and I also had a '94 LHS. I had a chance to buy a Supra cheap, so I put them both up for sale for $1600. Needless to say, the Tercel sold in just over a week. Nice car.

I removed the door panels twice, once to install some decent speakers, and then to install some window tint (that the state made me remove...)

I'm used to more powerful cars, but after installing a nice sound system, that made up for it.

And who can beat 44MPG?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

The outer side sorry, I'm batting zero here....... ;0)

Pulled the top "cup" part area up and it popped right off & seen the 2 screws mounting it so that'll be my next step.

Never had any serious trouble with this baby.....11 yrs old, no body rust at all dents or pings and 104K miles......Runs like a charm and still looks sleek even the inside is perfect. Only thing I need is my sound system updated fer mp3 playing and whatnot, have 2 rear above mounted speakers that are blown soooooooo........ ;0)

Sounds great....... ;0)

One more question if ya don't mind? The manual window handle? The panel does not look like it will slide over it, does the handle just pull off so the panel can come off? I tugged on it but it ain't moving? I figgered it should just pop off & than snap back in?

Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
ByTor

Look for a clip squeezed between the base of the handle & the door panel. Sometimes a rag run through that area much like a shoeshine rag will disloge the clip enough to remove it. Needle nose pliers \ screwdriver , etc can also be used. Once you see the clip you'll figure out a way to remove it. dc

Reply to
doncee

Yeah, what he said! Usually the clip is installed with the 'handle' part away from the window handle; push the panel in GENTLY and grab it with needle-nose pliers or a screwdriver (helps to wear glasses when doing this!!!

When you reinstall it, do so the same way, or you may never get it off again. Also, look at the position of the window handle...Toyotas usually have them installed in the 1-2 o'clock position with the window UP!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Worked out perfectly, thank you much for the heads up on the clip......I woulda never thunk!......... ;0)

Reply to
ByTor

THANK YOU very much for your help & advice, finally got around to changing it today and all worked out perfectly!!!! Couldn't have asked for anything easier, accept of course a dishwasher I installed afterwards......Assembly people really have a sense of humor!!!..... ;0)

Again, thanks much!!

Reply to
ByTor

Glad to be of assistance!

But, should have changed the speakers while you were there! ;)

As far as sound, that was one of the BEST cars I ever put a sound system into. It was a pretty cool install, too...

I put 5 1/2" speakers all the way around, front and rear. I had to get an adapter plate for the fronts for about $8, and ran 18 guage wire from the doors to under the driver's seat.

The rears was the trick...WHAT rears?! From inside the trunk I marked where the holes in the metal deck were on the bottom of the parcel shelf.I pulled the third brake light and the trim from the seat belts, unclipped the package shelf and brought it in to my bench.

VERY CAREFULLY with a SHARP linoleum knife I cut through the chip board, being VERY CAREFUL not to cut the 'carpet' covering on the shelf. I mounted the speakers and replaced the shelf. No grilles, no boxy speakers, but the sound was GREAT! So, except for the head unit in the dash, everything else looked stock. But the souind was awesome.

The way that car is shaped makes it very good for installing a good audio system. I also had an amp and a subwoofer in the trunk we made from an old Pignose amp:

the amp was blown so we 'ported' the slot where the amp installs and mounted a 12" sub. I still have the box employed in my Supra...;)

Reply to
Hachiroku