1997 Corolla Neutral Safety Switch Question

A couple days ago, my daughter's '97 Corolla 1.8 (7AFE engine) with a

4-speed auto wouldn't start. The usual instrument cluster lights were lit, but nothing else happened.. After I pushed the transmission shift lever forward to make sure that it was in Park, the car started. Since this is a very intermittent problem, should I replace the neutral safety switch or adjust the shift linkage (can that be done and if so, where and how)?

TIA.

Reply to
Ghislain

You can get online access for $10/day to the factory service manual or you can get a Haynes or Chilton manual for more specific instructions.

If the car does not start in Park, you can also try neutral.

With the parking brake and service brakes applied, have someone move the shifter through several positions (the engine does not have to be running). While that is happening, look under the hood at how the shift linkage works at the transmission. The neutral safety switch should be nearby. You can remove it and see if it is sticking. I would not try adjusting the linkage because it is not likely to cure the problem.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out tomorrow because a new one is somewhat expensive. The picture of a neutral safety switch

leads me to believe that it might be adjustable.

Reply to
Ghislain

It never hurts to take a look and see if something can be adjusted, cleaned, or repaired. Nothing ventures, nothing gained!

good luck!

Reply to
Ray O