1997 Tercel Air Bag Compatibility

I have been looking for a 1997 Tercel Air Bag Sensor Assembly (Part#

89170-16050)at salvage yards to replace my unit which has broken electrical connection pins. I have been informed by a local Toyota dealer that the air bag sensor part number is unigue to the 96 and 97 Tercel. I am wondering if any other Toyota's use this sensor? The other question is will a 1995 Tercel air bag sensor (Part# 89170-16020)work instead? The 95 sensor appears to have the same mounting points and electrical connector as the 97 sensor. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply to
jlyonamf

I wouldn't mess with the airbags at all, never mind swapping part numbers.

I think the way the sensors operate changed after the '95 model year, probably mandated by the government, becausae I know Ford's changed the same year.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before doing ANY work on the airbags, and make sure nobody's in the car when you reconnect.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Damned tootin...I'd never screw around with those...take Hachi's advice for God's sake...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Man, please take my advice. I've seen a few of these things go off unexpectedly over my career, and it's no fun. If there is one system you need to have a dealership work on, it's this one. Pay the cash, get the right part, do it right. There is a LOT of stuff one can ballpark on a car, but airbags aren't one of them.

Reply to
qslim

I wouldn't try any parts substitutions on an airbag system unless you have a list of acceptable part numbers from Toyota, in writing. Best bet is to find the right car in the junkyard.

And I wouldn't try mess with the airbag system at all without the specialized manuals on how to service them - I wonder if the TFSM covers this, or there's a separate book.

This is one time you follow all the instructions steps and procedures to the letter - you are playing with explosives, and you only have a few milliseconds to say "Oops!"...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I believe that the factory service manual specifically warns not to use used parts in the airbag system for obvious reasons.

It is covered in the factory service manual.

Even if you are not injured by an inadvertent air bag deployment, you will have a very expensive component to replace and if it scares the crap out of you, you will have to clean the crap off of the upholstery.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Or what's far worse, the bag DOESN'T deploy when it should have and your chest gets rearranged by the post or your pax's face has an argument with the windshield glass.

Reply to
Gord Beaman