1997 Toyota Corolla door panel removal

So...

The lock-lever on my 97 Corolla rear passenger door is sticking... As the weather has gotten cooler (Chicago), the lock has progressively gotten more stubborn!

It won't unlock or lock (keyless) and keeps getting stuck. I figure I need to pull the panel off the inside of the door and lube/clean the mechanism, so that the lever can more freely again.

Just to clarify, the door latch (to the car body) itself works fine, but just the locking mechanism is sticking.

Any tips/tricks? I have the Haynes manual to work from, but those aren't always entirely accurate.

Are there any standard ways of dealing with the plastic liner (under the panel) - do I just cut through it?

Any and all tips/responses are appreciated.

Cheers, Nirav

97 Corolla DX, 75k
Reply to
njmodi

Unfortunately, yes. Try silicone spray on the on the plastic rod connectors.

Also, apply lock ease where the rod activates the lever in the back of the lock cylinder.

The plastic is held on with black putty. Just pull it off with a jerking motion. If it tears, re-seal with duct tape to keep moisture away from the interior door panel.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Excellent information as always. Hopefully I'll get some time (weather cooperating) to work on this today or tomorrow.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Got the job sorta done.

I wasn't prepared to deal with the metal shroud that sits on top of the cylinder and wasn't quite sure how to pry out the plastic clips that hold it in place. I didn't want to damage the clips, since the same clips are threaded for the screws that hold the interior trim handle in place... I cleaned and lubed up the plastic guides and connectors and anything that I could get to that was associated with the lock/unlock lever. I noticed that both rear levers offer much more resistance than either of the fronts (perhaps some poor design in the rear mechanism?).

I have it all back together, it's much warmer here today, so I can't tell if I've really accomplised anything, but I can take the door apart in 10mins (if I have to do it again), so I'm not too worried. I'll just have to figure out what to do with the metal shroud...

Thanks for the tips Ray.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

The metal shroud on top of the cylinder is designed to make it more difficult to break into the car, although a pro can get into just about any car.

I'm not sure of the specific clip that holds the lock cylinder in place, but in general, they are a horseshoe-shape and slide out.

I didn't want to damage the clips, since the same

Also apply Lock-Ease through the key slot and work the cylinder with the kep to loosen things up.

You're welcome and good luck!

Reply to
Ray O