1997 UK Corolla running problem.

Hi all,

I have a late 97 (Oct) 1.6 Corolla CD with 83K miles. Recently, it has started running a little badly. If I accelerate, it doesn't pick up straight away, I can feel the full power kick in at about 4,500 rpm or thereabouts. It is sluggish and seems as if there is a miss. I can rule this out though as last week I changed the plugs, oil and air filter. The car still starts up alright, although I *think* it now ticks over slightly lower than what it did before the problem started. I don't want to sway anyone's opinion, I'm thinking it could be the fuel filter though. Would this cause this symptom? Will the fuel filter be easy to replace?

I would check the Haynes Manual but it hasn't been released for the '97 onwards model yet.

Many thanks in advance,

Reply to
David Firewater

Did you install OEM or aftermarket spark plugs?

Is the transmission automatic and if so, when was the last time the transmission fluid was changed?

When you say "ticks over slightly slower" do you mean that the engine turns more slowly when starting? If so, check your battery terminal connections to see if they are clean and tight. If the battery is more than 5 years old, it is time to start thinking about a new one. This is unrelated to the lack of power.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" snipped-for-privacy@tristarassociatesDOT.com wrote

I replaced OEM plugs with aftermarket ones. The problem is with both so I think it's unrelated to the brand.

Manual box.

By ticks over slightly lower, I mean it now ticks over at approx 650 RPM whilst running sat idle... before the trouble it ticked over at approx

750RPM. The battery is approximately 2 years old, all connections are tight.

Thanks for the advice, Ray. But none of the above have worked. Anything else please, anyone?

Reply to
David Firewater

What type of aftermarket plugs? Toyotas often do not run well on aftermarket plugs, and the OEM ones were due for replacement at 60,000 miles (96,000 km). Since you have already replaced the plugs, keep in mind that they are aftermarket and that as alast resort, try installing new Nippon Denso or NGK plugs.

<snip>

If the engine idles at 650 RPM (fully warmed up), what happens when you turn turn the steering wheel left to right or engage the air conditioning? The RPM should rise slightly.

Also check the black plastic intake tube from the air filter to the throtle body for cracks.

Reply to
Ray O