1998 toyota Corolla headlight problems

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla where the Headlights do not work. I have replaced two relays one was for the headlights and the other was for the daytime running lights. I have even replaced the headlight turn signal combo switch. Does anyone have any ideas what my problem might be. I noticed that my high beam blue indicator light was flashing for the last couple mornings. There was a rhythm to the flashing to the indicator light on the dash. In the fuse box under the dash there is some small black item that plugs into the fuse box next to the fuses. This little rectangular box next to the fuse is not much larger that the fuses. Is this a fusible link? The label for the fuse box cover does not list what this little rectangular device is. it plugs in just like a fuse. When the headlight switch is turned on and off what does it turn on and off? is it the hot or the ground? My headlights have power going to them but no ground to them.

Rich

Reply to
<mrharper68

The small black item in the fuse box is either a circuit breaker, might be labeled "CB" on the fuse box cover, or a relay. If the circuit breaker is auto-resetting then that can cause the flashing you're experiencing. If the circuit breaker is tripping, check for a short to ground.

A fusible link looks more like a heavy duty fuse or just a jumper wire.

When the headlight switch is turned on, it controls power to the headlight relay, which controls power to the headlights. The circuits control power, not ground. One of the wires going to the headlight should have continuity with ground. If not, then that's your problem.

Reply to
Ray O

In my experience, weird unrelated electrical events, like your high beam indicator light flashing, indicate a bad ground.

Boy, you replaced a lot of parts already!

Here's what I'd do. Pull both headlights and probe the connector. Check for continuity to ground. Turn on the lights and check for 12V. Turn on the high beams and check for 12V.

That will at least narrow down your problem.

Reply to
kgold