1999 Celica convertible motor(s) work, but nothing happens

I just bought a used Celica convertible. It's in great shape. The only problem is that the top won't go up or down using the motor (sounds like there's more than one.) You can hear the motor(s) turning, but the top doesn't move at all. You can raise and lower the top manually, but it'd be nice to get it working automatically again.

My guess is that something that connects the motors to the top has become disconnected. My problem is that I have no idea where to even start? How do I get to the motors? Do the motors engage via a gear mechanism? Maybe they use some sort of belt drive? I'm sure that will become obvious when I finally get to them. If I plan on getting to the motors, would it be better to have the top open or closed? (My guess would be closed so the cloth and frame wont get in the way.)

*Any* piece of advice would be helpful. Thanks, and I'll keep you posted of my progress.

Max.

Reply to
maxc246

IIRC, the motors are in the space near where the rear shock absorbers and side trim panels go. You have to remove the trim to expose the motors. Watch out for sharp body work!

Do the motors engage via a gear

I believe the mechanism is hydraulic.

If I plan on getting to the

Closed.

The conversion was done by ASC in Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray. Except for the hydraulic part, it sounds exactly like what I imagined. I'll tear in to it this weekend and post a follow up.

At this point, I fear that if they are hydraulic then I may find hydraulic fluid everywhere. I would think that hydraulic motors would stop on their own when fully extended or retracted even if they're not under a load. These motors just seem to go and go in both directions. It makes me think that perhaps a seal has broken, which may be more than I can fix on my own. We'll see.

Thanks aga> >I just bought a used Celica convertible. It's in great shape. The

Reply to
maxc246

I ditched the class on fixing convertibles so to be honest, I'm just guessing. Whether the system is hydraulic or mechanical like a power window, the most likely way to stop when fully extended or retracted is with a current limiter or limit switch. Check those first.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, I dug in to it today and here's what I found. It's gear driven. The motors are 8 to 10 inches long and about 3 to 4 inches in diameter. They were located exactly where you said they'd be.

At first I couldn't see the gears, so I was hoping that since I could hear the motor spinning it would be something easy like a stripped gear. No such luck. When I finally pulled one of the motors out, the gears were fine. In fact, when I hit the switch, the motor spun fine. The problem seems to be that when the motor is under a load, it just gives up. It still sounds like it's spinning, but it doesn't.

My limited motor knowledge makes me think that maybe the coils need to be rewound, but that's just a guess. I'm going to talk to a local DC motor guys on Monday about it. The cheapest place I've found these things is $250 each! I can't see paying $500 for something I'll only use a few times a year. It's not like it's hard to raise and lower the top manually.

Thanks for the > > Thanks Ray. Except for the hydraulic part, it sounds exactly like what

Reply to
maxc246

The motors may have carbon brushes that are worn. A motor place probably has replacement ones that will fit.

Take a look at the gear that the motor is turning. Is there any resistance if you try to turn the gear manually? In other words, can you raise and lower the top by manually turning whatever it is that the motor is supposed to turn? If there is a lot or resistance, then something may be binding. If the car was in an accident or the top was damaged, a linkage may be binding.

Reply to
Ray O

True Value stores have a big stock of motor brushes. I have used them plenty in my Toys.

Reply to
Hachiroku