1999 Civic transmission problem

Hi All, new to the group. We just picked up a very clean '99 Civic EX

2-door automatic for my daughter's first car. Lately it's been shuddering, slipping a shifting harshly, mostly when pulling away from a stop. Seems to run OK once up to speed though. Coincident with this behavior the CEL illuminates. Retrieving the error code with a scanner reveals a code "PO730 - Gear Ratio Incorrect" is present. This seems to be consistent with the poor shifting performance. Any clues as to what's wrong? Automatic transmissions are scary things as they are usually very expensive to fix.
Reply to
Jeff Bertrand

Have you tried alt.autos.honda?

Reply to
Truckdude

Perhaps the OP trusts us more than the guys in the Honda group....

They don't get OT as much as we do. Possibly he perceives that as a sign of weakness in their Troubleshooting skills...they actually have to talk about the CARS more and haven't got the time to devote to other discussion...

(ONLY KIDDING!!!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

You might want to try the Honda group, but before you do that:

Check the condition of the automatic transmission fluid and make sure it is red and not brown or black.

When you scanned the codes, did you check to see if there is more than 1 code? A malfunctioning shift solenoid can cause problems.

Reply to
Ray O

KIDDING NOTHING!! We're freaking good, dude! We can still help people fix cars AND dodge all those lunatic posts from that guy in florida at the same time. On another note, where is that crazy sharx guy from Canada? Usually he would have shown up by now telling this honda guy to fu** off and do terrible things to his mom...

Reply to
qslim

LOL! "That Luntic guy in Florida"?!?!?!

Actually, what I meant was, I was telling the HONDA guys I was kidding!

And, I know a lot of the people here are good when it comes to helping out!!

And *I* certainly appreciate it!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sorry please disregard. That's where I meant to post this. Accidentally posted in the wrong group. I was wondering what happened to it!

Reply to
Jeff Bertrand