1999 Rav4 flasher brake lights

When i bought my car in Jan 1999, i was bullied into buying a flashing

3rd brake light. At that time i was told that the flasher brake light was supposed to help me avoid being rear ended. i was even told and given a written guarantee that if i got rear-ended...i would be given like $500. i was rear ended 3 months after buying the car. and when i tried to cash in on the guarantee, i was told my car had to be totalled out.

i was rear ended again last week and my car was totalled. I would like to cash in on this guarantee...but i can't find that damn piece of paper! has anyone heard of this? i have called 4 dealerships in my area...all of them claim to not know what i am talking about. they don't even know what i mean when i tell them i have a flasher brake light! i can't find any references to this on the internet. i want my $500! hahahah

any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
JD

The "flasher 3rd brake light" is not a factory option or accessory. You should contact the dealership where you purchased the vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

I did try that too....and of course, no one there knows what i'm talking about. I talked to service that transfered me to new car sales (no idea why!!) who transferred me back to service...sigh. i even called other dealerships to see if i could get someone that knew something. na-da. sigh. i just want to cash in on the "guarantee". :(

Reply to
JD

The flashing 3rd brake light sounds like an add-on accessory that the new car department sells, like paint and upholstery treatments, rust proofing, pin stripes, etc. Unfortunately, it is not a genuine Toyota accessory so any guarantee would be from whoever made the accessory and not from Toyota.

I'd try these steps: Take another look at the papers you got when you purchased the vehicle to see if you can find any paperwork on the brake light, i.e., brand name. Contact the salesperson who sold you the vehicle and see if they can look in the deal jacket to get you a copy of the paperwork Contact the sales manager, general manager, or owner of the dealership and ask for a copy of the paperwork. Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

thank you so much for the suggestion. I finally got a hold of someone at the dealership that could answer some questions and they did. it's just as you said. it's an add-on accesory that the privately owned dealership added onto the car. The guarantee was one of the private dealership. since i bought the car, the dealership has been sold...so they won't honor any kind of guarantee made. :(

Reply to
JD