1999 RX 300 O2 Sensor

Hello,

I was helping a friend replace his O2 sensor in a 99 RX 300. I had a very difficult time all the way through getting the sensor out with the little room to move a wrench but I did finally get it out. When I tried putting in the new one, it would catch on the threads, but when i put some force on it, it would just pop off again. I am guessing that the threads are stripped. He did purchase the car used with 25k miles in 2002. Is it likely that the factory stripped this? I couldn't imagine that this was replaced at 25k miles. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

I have never seen a stripped thread on a Toyota from the factory. Sorry to say this, but if the threads are stripped, it probably happened when you took out the old one. Is the replacement sensor an OEM sensor or an aftermarket one? If it is aftermarket, is it the correct one?

Reply to
Ray O

The replacement sensor is an OEM one, I'm not sure if it is the correct one or not, it is possible that the dealer gave him the incorrect one. How would something strip coming out if it was installed properly? I've never seen any bolt that if installed correctly would not come out correctly.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

An easy way to check whether the replacement sensor has the same thread pitch is to compare it with the one that came out. Corrosion builds up over time, and removing the old one can tear the threads out. A way to prevent this is to spray penetrating oil on the threads and tap the manifold or pipe very lightly, wait an hour, repeat, then wait overnight, and try removing the next day. Expect some smoke when you start the engine.

At this point, it may help to get a thread chaser or a tap and see if you can chase the threads.

Reply to
Ray O