2000 4Runner time to replace battery??

Hello all.

I have a 2000 4Runner Limited with about 34000 miles. Still running on the original battery. that would make it 7 years old this January!

I live in the northeast and although it's been starting every morning in the cold, it sounds like it's saying "the end is near!"

Any suggestions on what brand, model, type, size etc.. I should buy? I don't think I need to pay a dealer to change my battery. I have changed other batteries in the past and unless there is something unusual I need to know about the 4Runner I think I can do it myself.

Thanks in advance. John

Reply to
John

Florida is probably harder on batteries than the NE.

I replace my battery every 3 years.

I consider it preventative maintenance. Even though I have AAA, who wants the hassle of a no start?

I'd replace the battery.

Reply to
Scott in Florida

That's pretty long. I replace my 2001 4Runner battery after about four years.

Just go to Costco and get the battery. They are about 40% less than other stores for a battery with the same so-called warranty, and they don't hassle you about warranty issues.

It's very easy to change the 4Runner battery.

Reply to
SMS

IMHO, I would definitely replace the battery with the largest capacity (cca) that will fit and you can afford. I just changed out one from my truck with a Everlast 1000 amp 850 cca from Walmart. $72.00. It's working great at -15F. It did not help my frozen bathroom pipe though. Good luck.

Reply to
user

I'd change out the battery. At $39.99 a Jonson Control (JCI marketed under Energizer) at Walmart is a very good deal. So is the $49.99 Autozone Dura-Last Gold (not their value line) with even higher reserve, also made by JCI.

An old battery will eventually put strain on the alternator as it works harder trying to charge a worn out battery. The alt will fail sooner. So change it every 5 years.

I'd prefer Delco's maintenance free line, but they are harder to find. Get one if you can at around $85.

The Costco battery for the Camry is actually undersized. I'd stay away from the Group 35. Get a 24F instead if your Costco has it, also made by JCI.

John wrote:

Reply to
johngdole