2000 Avalon - too Lean

My 2000 Avalon started pinging a few weeks ago and yesterday the "Check Engine" light came on. I stopped by AutoZone this morning and had them do the diagnostic. The result was "Engine running too lean." Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to take it to the dealer. (I'm a pretty good wrencher on the old stuff) Thanks. jor

Reply to
jor

If it is a PO171 code, then the mass airflow sensor is usually to blame. Very common on your model. You can also try pulling it out and looking up inside the body at the sensing wire to see if it has some crap on it.

Reply to
qslim

It mighrt be worth your time to look for a vacuum leak too. A loose vacuum hose or a rubber hose in the intake plenum.

Good Luck

Reply to
RunnerBiker

Check allso A/F meter. Remove it first and look hotwires (inside) with powerful penlight. It should be clean silver coloured. If it's black/dk.grey or something else suspicious then replace with new one. Toyota sparepartnumber is on the face of A/F meter.

Reply to
Vesa Heino