2000 Celica GT new engine block

This isn't really specific to my car, but the dealer just replaced my engine block along with several other parts. They didn't really give me much advise on care though. I know that I must vary my speed, but I've been getting a few different answers from a few people I know. How long should I avoid sustained speeds? I know I should change the oil after about 500miles....the dealer told me 3000. Anything else I should be thinking of?

Reply to
aclockworkoi

In the UK, Toyota scrapped the 1000mile/1month service to do the oil change (and probably the rest of their VVTi cars). It's not sustained speeds that need to be avoided, but sustained engine speeds. Normal driving should do this anyway. If on the motorway (freeway) then just vary your speed once in a while by +/- 10mph or so.

Reply to
Johnny

For how many miles? My commute to work is 30 mins over a mountain hwy so that should definitely take care of that.

Reply to
aclockworkoi

The break-in period for most cars is around 500-600 miles. Actually the dealer told me to just drive it normally as engines these days are manufactured so precisely.

Reply to
Johnny

SNIP

Now THAT makes a lot of sense .... (not)

Reply to
Philip

Agreed. Matter of fact, your commute route is the ideal break-in environment.

Reply to
Philip

And a dealer told me the very same thing....25 years ago, when I bought a new Corolla!

But, I changed the oil after 1000 miles and I did drive a LITTLE less aggressively, and I only managed to get 225,000 miles out of it before I traded it in...

Reply to
Vash The Stampede

Thanks for all the replies guys...my mom told me last night to just drive it how I want it to run, I guess I just wont overkill it.

Reply to
aclockworkoi