2000 Corolla seatbelt light malfunction - How expensive?

My 2000 corolla has a problem with seatbelt signal light. I observed it two days ago. Even if I buckle-up (as always), the blinker is not going away. It's a bit annoying. If I pull the belt a bit, the blinker goes away but if I release it, it's back on. I assume there's a short circuit somewhere. How expensive is this to fix if I take it to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
tedneeley

The seatbelts and associated functionality are usually covered for the life of the car (its the law). Take it in to the dealer and they should fix it for free. You might want to call ahead.

Cheers.

Reply to
njmodi

OP here. Thanks for your reply. Where did you get this information? Could you provide source so that I can show the dealer in case they refuse to cover it?

Thanks.

Reply to
tedneeley

"njmodi" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

No it's not. That's a common misconception.

Nope.

The switch inside the buckle's receptacle is stuck.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's not true. See my other post.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Rest assured, there is not a short circuit. I there were you would be blowing the fuse.

mike hunt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I stand corrected. It looks like Toyota does not offer the lifetime warranty (from some quick searching). I thought it was federally mandated, but it looks like its up to individual manufacturers. Acura, for example, does offer lifetime warranty on seatbelts.

Sorry about the bad info.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Correct. Generally, it is 100K but only for a defect, not normal use. Even then it depends on year of manufacture

mike hunt

"TeGGeR®" wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

OP here again. I'm still looking for a ballpark figure on how much I can expect to spend on this. Is this something a handy person can do himself?

Thanks.

Reply to
tedneeley

Lots of people get that backwards...it's an open circuit (intermittently)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

If you're handy, shine a light into the receptacle and use a thin probe or pick to see if there are any foreign objects in there. Coins are the most common culprit, drinks are next. You could remove the receptacle, turn it upside down and shake it to see if anything comes out. If not, then replace it.

Reply to
Ray O