2000 Corolla/Spark plugs, fuel filter or fuel injectors?

I have a 2000 Corolla I bought used in 2002. I have never replaced the plugs. A few months ago, the engine started running very choked, it wanted to chug when first starting up and taking off at lights and stop signs, and going up hills, regardless of the speed, it sputtered. My check engine light flickered off and on intermittently for a week or so, frustrating me, since it never did it when my husband was in there. It finally came on, and stayed on for several days. I consulted my local CarX, and they said to bring it in. They told me it was my fuel injectors, did the job, charged me $200, and sent me on my way with a notice that the engine light may do this periodically over the life of my car, since this seems to be a design flaw for this type of Corolla. They also told me I may have to come back several times to have the injectors cleaned to keep the car running. I asked if the plugs could be the problem, and they said no. The car ran fine for months, then, it starting acting up a little again a couple weeks ago for my hubby (I got a van for me, he now drives the Corolla exclusively), although not as bad. I called the local Toyota dealership, since my hubby said he thinks it is a fuel filter problem, explained to them what happened, and they said 1) They have not heard of an engine design flaw in the 2000 Corolla that requires multiple injector cleanings. 2) It shouldn?t be a fuel filter problem, since the filter is built into the gas tank, and designed to never need replacing, unless I?m putting some seriously bad gas in my car. 3) More than likely, since we?ve had the car since 2002, and never replaced, or checked the plugs, it sounds like that?s the problem, and that if we replace them ourselves, we need special Iridium plugs, because regular ones will foul, and possibly destroy, the engine. The plugs will run about $12 each. I guess I need to know if anyone else has had this problem, if they?ve needed to replace the plugs with these special Iridium plugs (the auto parts stores I called laughed and said I could spend the money if I wanted, but they never heard of regular plugs destroying an engine unless they weren?t spaced right), and where exactly the plugs are located in the engine compartment. We have been unable to locate them. I don?t want to get the runaround on the phone, and I?m no dummy when it comes to engines, but I?m not going to take my car to 15 different places and get told 15 different stories if it?s something as simple as plugs. Any help anyone could give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
SheTiger68

Simply add a bottle of Chevron Techron every year (to gas) to clean the injectors. It works very well. Available at Target, Walmart or Advanced Auto.

Don't have Corolla --- just other model yotas. The fuel pump is in the gas tank along with a strainer but there is usually a fuel filter in the engine bay (and it is always a pain to get to!)

Get the plugs that are in your owners manual --- avoid cheap Bosch plugs and aftermarket plug wires and distributor cap. Even if you have to get the iridium plugs you would save that much in gas in less than a year.

For stock # and prices try -

00&make=TO&model=COR-910-001&category=F&part=Spark+Plug"SheTiger68" wrote in message news:1_523121 snipped-for-privacy@autoforumz.com...>I have a 2000 Corolla I bought used in 2002. I have never replaced the> plugs. A few months ago, the engine started running very choked, it> wanted to chug when first starting up and taking off at lights and> stop signs, and going up hills, regardless of the speed, it sputtered.> My check engine light flickered off and on intermittently for a week> or so, frustrating me, since it never did it when my husband was in> there. It finally came on, and stayed on for several days. I consulted> my local CarX, and they said to bring it in.> They told me it was my fuel injectors, did the job, charged me $200,> and sent me on my way with a notice that the engine light may do this> periodically over the life of my car, since this seems to be a design> flaw for this type of Corolla. They also told me I may have to come> back several times to have the injectors cleaned to keep the car> running. I asked if the plugs could be the problem, and they said no.> The car ran fine for months, then, it starting acting up a little> again a couple weeks ago for my hubby (I got a van for me, he now> drives the Corolla exclusively), although not as bad. I called the> local Toyota dealership, since my hubby said he thinks it is a fuel> filter problem, explained to them what happened, and they said 1) They> have not heard of an engine design flaw in the 2000 Corolla that> requires multiple injector cleanings. 2) It shouldn't be a fuel filter> problem, since the filter is built into the gas tank, and designed to> never need replacing, unless I'm putting some seriously bad gas in my> car. 3) More than likely, since we've had the car since 2002, and> never replaced, or checked the plugs, it sounds like that's the> problem, and that if we replace them ourselves, we need special> Iridium plugs, because regular ones will foul, and possibly destroy,> the engine. The plugs will run about $12 each.> I guess I need to know if anyone else has had this problem, if they've> needed to replace the plugs with these special Iridium plugs (the auto> parts stores I called laughed and said I could spend the money if I> wanted, but they never heard of regular plugs destroying an engine> unless they weren't spaced right), and where exactly the plugs are> located in the engine compartment. We have been unable to locate them.> I don't want to get the runaround on the phone, and I'm no dummy when> it comes to engines, but I'm not going to take my car to 15 different> places and get told 15 different stories if it's something as simple> as plugs. Any help anyone could give would be appreciated. Thanks! > > -- > Posted using the
interface, at author's request> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards > Topic URL: >
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Wolfgang

Your 2000 car uses On Board Diagnostics, Level 2 (OBD II). You can buy a diagnostic code reader for about $100, some are cheaper and some are more expensive, and many auto parts stores will let you use one for free. The reader will give out a code, and the more expensive ones will give a text message as well.

The code reader can be used to clear all of the codes that the computer has stored inside. Before I began any work on the car, I would list up the codes that are stored today and then clear them all, then wait for the Check light to come on again. At that time, I would check any part that was associated with creating the same code on the first check and then again on the subsequent check.

There is a data port right along the edge of the dash board in the area where you place your left leg while driving. The data port looks similar to the data port on the back of a printer, not as many pins as the printer has, but the same kind of connector. It takes just a minute or two to pull the codes and reset the computer.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: >
this something I should have the dealer do for me when I take it infor the spark plugs? CarX never mentioned anything about a diagnosticsport, and we don?t have the original owner?s manual for the car. Webought it used. If this is something I can purchase, I think I will dosome research to locate one so the car can tell me what?s wrong,instead of relying on possibly questionable and expensive information.Thank you, very much and kindly, for your information. I think itmight be quite an investment. Thanks!

Reply to
SheTiger68

The dealer does (almost) nothing for free. They can scan the codes but they aren't going to share willingly - because they want to get you to do the repairs done there, of course. ;-) Often they're not that much more expensive than your local corner garage, but you should get a second opinion. And the extra experience can count for a lot.

A basic OBD-II scanner will set you back around $100, and there are fancier ones that pro mechanics buy that are several hundred, but give more detailed responses and do extra tests like reading the ABS Brakes and Transmission computer codes. (I want to look into ones that are interfaces plugged into a laptop computer [not included...], that should get me a fancy one for a lot less.)

The scanner can tell you a lot about what is wrong, but they often don't give you an exact diagnosis of "This Part Is Bad". They only tell you what system is going off normal, and sometimes how.

An expert can take those codes and go check the two or three problems that would cause them. To do that, you usually need the factory repair manuals (NOT cheap! North of $200) and some experience.

But having a scanner makes shade-tree repairs possible again. You post the symptoms and the codes here, and one of the professional mechanics will tell you what to check next. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report> > abuse:> >
> Is this something I should have the dealer do for me when I take it in> for the spark plugs? CarX never mentioned anything about a diagnostics> port, and we don't have the original owner's manual for the car. We> bought it used. If this is something I can purchase, I think I will do> some research to locate one so the car can tell me what's wrong,> instead of relying on possibly questionable and expensive information.> Thank you, very much and kindly, for your information. I think it> might be quite an investment. Thanks!

Well, the dealer should automatically look at the codes before he does anything else. Frankly, I think that the service writer, your very first contact with the dealer when you take your car in for service, should pull the codes as a function of writing the service ticket, and he should pull the codes as a Free Service instead of a billable one.

If you live in California, you can check the code reader out from the auto parts store, like checking a book out from the library, and pull the codes yourself. It is VERY EASY and takes less than a minute. You plug the reader into a connector, turn the ignition switch on (but not start), press the button to Get Codes, then write them all down on a sheet of paper, then press the button to Reset Codes. When the Check light comes on again, repeat and see if any of the codes come up again. Fix whatever is a repeat code.

The OBD II code system is really very good, but the problem is that some codes can live in the system for a very long time, and have nothing at all to do with what you are experiencing today when the Check light comes on. And, there are things that can cause the Check light to come on, and these things can fix themselves - the gas cap is not securely attached, for example - but the code is still recorded and stored. You can spend hours chasing down an old code, this is why I have the strategy of pulling the codes twice, then going after the code list items on the second pull that are repeats of the first pull.

The OBD II system is not listed in the Owner's Manual, except that the manual might point out the location of the data port. The OBD II System demands that the data port be located along the underside of the dash, near where your left leg would be while driving. The port may or may not have a cover on it, but if you look along the underside of the dash, right next to the edge, you will find either a small cover or the exposed connector. IT CAN NOT BE HIDING, AND MUST BE EASILY ACCESSABLE, these are specifications of the OBD II system. All cars and light trucks built since 1996 must comply with OBD II, this means that any car you are likely to own from now on will have this data port, and the port will be located in roughly the same place. There are slight variations that each manufacturer might employ - a small cover for example - but the guidelines will be uniform across all makes and models that you are likely to own.

You can do a search on the 'net for OBD II and find lots of resources that will give you detailed background. If you guys are prone to doing your own service on your cars, then you probably should buy a code reader. They run from around $70 to about $150, with several models in this range. I think that the average Joe would be best served by the models in the middle of the price range, about $100 to $125.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland