2000 Sienna Power Window Wierdness

I have a wierd problem with the drivers side power window. If I put the window all the way down, particularly if I use auto down, the window won?t come up normallyabout 50% of the time. At first nothing happens when you use the switch, even if I pull it over and over. But if I wait a minute or so the window will go up 1 or 2 inches then slowly stop. Then after another minute or 2 it?ll go up another 1 or 2 inches then stop, etc etc until it is all the way up. If I don?t put the window all the way down this never happens. It seems like I should replace the motor, but it works fine if I stop opening the window within 3 inches of the bottom. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Reply to
bhfx

Some sort of a limit switch problem? Maybe the safety force sensor is having issues? Not sure how they are controlled on the Sienna.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

The window is binding up in it's track at the bottom of travel, then binding while going up again, and tripping the thermal circuit breaker for the window motors. It takes a minute or so till the circuit breaker cools down and automatically resets. Then you try going back up, and with the breaker already hot from the last attempt it only runs a few seconds till the breaker pops open again.

Sounds like you need to get the inner door trim panel off and check out the window regulator mechanism - it works like a scissor jack that's /supposed/ to keep the window level as it goes up and down, and I'll bet there's something broken or bent.

See if the window motion improves if you grab the top of the glass and wiggle sideways - if there is a broken rivet or link in the operator mechanism, the glass gets 'cockeyed' in it's slot and the motor is trying to push it up sideways, which won't work.

And rubber lubricant in the window channels can help, too. They get dried out and sticky as the car gets older, and that puts a lot more strain on the window motors and regulators. That can cause one of the arms to bend under the strain...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman