2000 Sienna - spark plugs

I have a 2000 sienna van I bought new. It now has abt 75000 miles and I would like to change the spark plugs. The engine has never been touched. (V6 3.0L)

Anyone with experience or know what is envolved in changing plugs in this car?

Changing the spark plugs is not technically difficult. I believe the 2000 Sienna has a coil for each plug so remove the coil, remove the plug, and reverse the process.

The difficult part is reaching the spark plugs on the back side of the engine. You will need a ratchet, spark plug socket, extensions, a universal joint, and the ability to do lots of stretching and twisting to get back there.

An old trick to getting spark plugs started when re-installing them is to get a one or two foot piece of vacuum hose that fits tightly over the top of the spark plug. You hold on to the hose and twist it to get the spark plug started. This method greatly reduces the likelihood of cross-threading and allows you to reach into tight spaces.

I recommend using OEM plugs from your dealer.

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:45:36 -0500, Ray O wrote:

Thanks for the information. The three plugs in front look easy enough to get to - but the three in the back look like a problem. Any idea of what has to come off the engine?

Jill, 8/20/2006,10:04:33 AM, wrote:

I have the same vehicle as you but have not changed the plugs yet. They say nothing must come off. You just need a couple of three-inch extensions and a u-joint between them on a ratchet.

Nothing should have to be removed in order to change the back 3 plugs. You just need some extensions, 1 or 2 u-joints, and some flexibility.

Good luck!

--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

If the engine is operating OK, you might consider leaving them in a little longer. The newer plugs should last 100K+. Check the owner&#8217;s manual maintenance schedule.

--
toyomoho