2001 Avalon XLS

Hello everyone. I am new here. I am also new to the Toyota world. A friend of my husband?s is willing to sell his 2001 Avalon to us for $6, 000 (neither him nor his wife are able to drive anymore due to medical reasons). The Avalon has 103,000 miles on it. He kept good care of the car. He had it in the shop for the regularly scheduled maintenance. Is this a good deal? The thought of paying $6000 for a car with over 100,000 miles on makes be cringe.

Thanks, Michelle

Reply to
baby1038

The engine in that model was prone to problems if oil wasn't change often enuf. No matter how good the car looks the engine needs to be check by a competent mechanic.

Reply to
Art

prone to problems if oil wasn't change often

This is a true statement which applies to all engines regardless of manufacture.

Reply to
dbu

Contrary to what many of the Toyota loyalist in their NG still chose to believe, the difference is that the problem engine in the Toyota developed a gelling problem, as toyota refers to it, even when the oil was changed according to the warranty guide lines at Toyota dealerships. That is what lead Toyota to offer the current extended warranty of eight years unlimited mileage, and to change the head in August of 1993. Toyota dealers now use synthetic oil in the effected engines, which seems to have eliminated any recurring gelling problems in engines that were cleaned or repaired under the extended warranty. That is our experience as well with the fleet Toyotas that we service. If one uses synaptic oil they should not be afraid of buying on older model with the effected engine, in my opinion.

mike hunt

dbu wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Nonsense. No one has ever come forward with evidence to that effect.

Wrong again, troll.

Maybe if you weren't a nym-shifting troll, what you say might have some weight, "Mike". As it is, anything you say is worthless.

Reply to
dizzy