2001 Celica GTS, low/fluctuating power on take off

Hi there,

I took it twice to dealer and they couldn't find the problem. Here is what's happening (at random times, more often with a warm engine): * transmission (manual) in neutral, start the engine; * I notice that it takes longer to start than it use to (it didn't miss any start, though) * engage first gear, drive the car slowly (1000 - 1500 rpm) * give it significantly more gas => nothing happens for about 1.5 seconds * eventually the power kicks in

Now, let's say you're at a stop, in neutral. Every now and then, idle gets rough, it drops to 600 rpm (can't really see but it's way under 1000), then comes back, drops again, engine almost stalls, then comes back. No engine light came on...

It's still happy to rev but it feels underpowered (hesitant is a better word). I get 15-20 miles / tank less than I used to.

Mods (had them before the problems developed): * Typhoon free flow air intake (don't ask, the air filter is clean and so is the mass airflow sensor)

As far as maintenance, everything was done on time, some often than actually required. :-) Apparently, electrical problems were ruled out by the inspections.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Balint

Vacuum leak?

Reply to
Ray O

Good advice! I checked the vaccum cap I put on when I installed the Typhoon intake and although it looked like new it was loose (it felt like a 0.5mm gap). The pressure must have kept it in place all this time. Can't repro the problem so far...

-- Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Balint

Hmmm....classic signs of a vacuum problem? Try checking the hoses/tubing for partial blockage. Try spraying a cleaner down them (after removing and replacing them ONE AT A TIME!) and allow to dry. Also, check the throttle plate inside the plenum; it may be sticking; clean with carb cleaner.

Reply to
hachiroku

Well, well, fancy meeting you here!

That was my first guess, too. Looks like it was a good one!

Reply to
hachiroku

Great minds think alike!

Reply to