2001 Corolla Engine Noise

My 2001 corolla has 72K miles on it. Recently I ham hearing some unusual noise. After every stop, when I hit the gas pedal I hear the noise. I gets louder with the Air Conditioner on. Anybody has any thoughts what the problem might be? How to fix it?

Reply to
zkhondker

I'm no expert... Ray O is the expert. I recently had some noise when idle and more when I accelerated. It ended up being I needed the serpentine belt replaced as well as the tensioner. Sound went away. Hopefully Ray O has some good advice for you. :-)

Reply to
mrsteveo

Noises are very difficult to diagnose without hearing them first hand, especially without a description of the noise, a description of the frequency, amplitude, duration, where the noise is coming from, etc.

Is the sound a rattle, squeal, clunk, clatter, buzz, squeak, whine? If it is a whine, leave the kids and mother-in-law at home. (just kidding)

Reply to
Ray O

Hmmm - gets louder with the AC on...

You really can't diagnose odd sounds over the net, but if you have a "mechanic's stethoscope" you may be able to isolate it down - it looks like a doctors stethoscope from the ears down to the Y point, but it has a mechanical pickup and a metal probe sticking out. You touch the probe to the suspected bad accessory or pulley, and if there are any mechanical noises like a bad bearing rumble or moan, you'll hear them.

My first thought would be to check the AC clutch pulley bearings carefully for wear and end-play, since the loading and thrust vectors change when the AC is on.

The pulley turns on a ball bearing that rides on an enlarged "nose" of the compressor body front housings, then the magnet coil hidden under the pulley attracts the flex plate with the clutch facing, the flex-plate pulls in and spins the compressor input shaft - it's a marvel of packaging.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It starts with a buzz and sometimes changes to a rattle. Thanks.

ZK

Reply to
zkhondker

To refresh everyone's memory, especially mine, here are the original post and my response:

**********

Noises are very difficult to diagnose without hearing them first hand, especially without a description of the noise, a description of the frequency, amplitude, duration, where the noise is coming from, etc.

Is the sound a rattle, squeal, clunk, clatter, buzz, squeak, whine? If it is a whine, leave the kids and mother-in-law at home. (just kidding)

***********

Where is the buzz or rattle coming from? Is it from the dashboard, under the car, engine compartment, back of the car?

Doe the buzz or rattle happen as soon as you start the car or does it have to warm up a bit?

Reply to
Ray O

Response to Ray O:

The buzz comes from the engine compartment. Its more pronounced when the car has not warmed up. In the morning when I change gear from P to R/D the buzz starts (no buzz at P or N). It gets louder when I hit the gas pedal, I don't hear it after 1 or 2 seconds. It keeps doing this every time I hit the gas pedal after a stop. As I said earlier it is louder (sometimes like a rattle) with the A/C on . I am thinking it might be a loose belt, but not sure. Since it does it only on driving gear I couldn't check the exact location, but it is from under the hood. Thanks.

ZK

Reply to
zkhondker

I still stand by loose belt or bad pully.

Reply to
mrsteveo

Check: Make sure there are no unsecured wire harnesses or electrical connectors in the engine compartment Make sure the heat shield over the exhaust manifold is not buzzing Check the clip that holds the hood prop rod down Some Corollas make normal valvetrain noise. Check the oil level. Check the accessory drive belt pulleys Check any heat shields over the exhaust system

Reply to
Ray O