2001 Corolla hesitation/power/ping problem

Greetings, My girlfriend has a 2001 Corolla with 67k miles on it. The problem is this; When first started, it starts fine, but if you put on the AC right away, it stalls. Accelerating after coming to a stop causes the car to nearly stall out (power dies for a second or two, but recovers somewhat). Acceleration at most speeds is delayed, but once the delay is over the car has normal power. The problem seems to get worse during damp weather. The car also pings except under hard acceleration. It also seemed to be worse during the winter (we live in cool Vermont).

So far, we've replaced the plugs, air filter, and pcv valve. We have not yet seen a check engine light come on, and we've had someone do an OBDII read on it. Does anyone know any tests that i could perform to diagnose this? I have a full garage with a lift, so I can do everything myself. Thanks much... Derek

Reply to
rootcon

Check engine vacuum at idle and high engine RPM, look for 14-16 inHg at idle.

Check for cracks in the intake hose between the air flow meter and intake manifold

If you did not use OEM spark plugs, use them.

Check ignition timing.

Reply to
Ray O

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: snip

Try spraying your ign wires w/WD40...if this helps then change 'em...(or if yer skeert of fire then just change them) WD40 will burn and leaky wires will ignite it but it's no big deal...

Reply to
Gord Beaman