2001 Highlander Smokes

I have a 2001 Highlander V-6 Automatic 4WD with 55000 miles. It just recently started blowing all kinds of smoke at start-up. The smoke stops after a few minutes. I have done nothing to find out why it smokes. I am wondering if this could be a warranty issue. Powertrain is covered 6 year

60000 miles. Any suggestions or common complaints and solutions will be appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
djpayne2

Toyota has had a problem with sludge because of some parts of the engine running too cool. It mostly happens in cool, high humidity climates. And short trips. Check with your dealer, he will most likely take care of it. Good luck. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Blueish -gray smoke at cold startup is usually caused by oil leaking past the valve stem oil seals or fouled-up oil control rings. Both can be symptoms of oil gelling. I'd bring the car to a Toyota dealer for proper diagnosis.

Reply to
Ray O

So is oil leaking by, either way, a powertrain warranteed fix since I am under 60,000 miles?

Thanks for the comments.

Dennis

Reply to
djpayne2

Without knowing the cause of the oil leak and the maintenance history of the vehicle, I can't say for sure but assuming that the vehicle was properly maintained with documentation and no external cause, you have a good chance of being covered by powertrain warranty.

Reply to
Ray O

The color of the smoke is very important. If it's blue-ish, then it's an oil issue like valve seals or cylinder rings. If it's white-ish, then it's water from a bad head gasket. The head gasket is easily a warranty issue where as the oil may be considered a wear item. Does the smoke affect your driving/performance of the vehicle in any way or is it a nuisance for a minute or two?

Reply to
John

Reply to
djpayne2

Could be oil running past the valve seals. Try and convince the service manager that's the problem and see what happens.

Reply to
John