2001 Sienna Squeeking Breaks + Thump...

Hello,

We've got a 2001 Sienna that we bought used w/ 60K miles on it, and we needed to replace the breaks at 95K. Well, previous to replacing them we had an occasional squeak that gave us the idea that they were going. Well, after having that done they squeak now like you wouldn't believe (more at lower speeds to full stop), and backing out of our driveway there's a noticeable "thump" as we apply the breaks at the bottom of the driveway. We've taken it back once post-repair, and they said some "things needed to be adjusted," and the rotars in the back needed to be turned because we may have "stopped too severely in the first 200 miles after the repair." Has anyone else experienced this? My dad suspects the squeaking is because the breaks weren't bled, which would cause the calipers to not reset. RegThank you for any advice you might have for me.

mothy

Reply to
mothy

"Brakes" stop the vehicle, not "breaks."

Where was the brake work performed? If the work was performed at a shop other than a Toyota dealer, did the shop use genuine Toyota parts or aftermarket parts?

The thump when backing out of the driveway is probably due to some play in the brake pads. The thump is probably more of an annoyance than a problem, and is usually more pronounced on aftermarket pads than on OEM pads.

There is no "adjustment' on disc brake calipers.

Stopping too severely in the first 200 miles after the repair will not cause the sound you are describing.

It is not necessary to bleed the brakes after a pad and rotor replacement, and not bleeding them will not cause the calipers to not reset or to squeak.

If the repairs were done at an aftermarket shop, the noise can probably be eliminated by the use of genuine Toyota brake parts.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O wrote: [snip]

Thank you. My fingers for some reason like typing "breaks" over "brakes"...

Sullivan Tire of Manchester, NH. Need to check on that.

It was our first brake job, so not noticing it before may have been because the previous versions were OEM...

My dad said something along the lines of using a clamp to replace the pads, but if the brakes aren't bled they wouldn't "reset"?

It always sounds like convenient "CYA" on the part of the repair shop to me...

See line above.

I will look into it and take it to Toyota if Sullivan can't fix the squeaking at the very least. Thank you again for your note.

Reply to
mothy

I suspect that the tire shop used aftermarket pads. Check your receipt for a description of the parts.

Brake lines need to be bled if air is somehow introduced to the brake fluid, like if the calipers are replaced. Otherwise, it is not necessary to bleed the brake lines when just replacing brake pads or rotors.

The brake caliper has a piston that pushes the pads against the rotor. When you release the brake pedal, the piston releases the pressure on the pads, allowing the rotor to turn. As the pad wears, the piston extends further and further out of the caliper, and when the worn pads are replaced, the piston has to be pushed back into the caliper. There are special tools for this purpose, but a large C-clamp works well for this purpose.

There is no "reset" to do when changing brake pads.

It sounds like the shop that did the service work knows how to replace components but does not really know the physics of how the different brake components interact.

You're welcome!

Reply to
Ray O