2001 Toyota Highlander Radio help needed please.

OK so we live in Pasadena Texas where it rains 10 inches in 2 hours and I woke up one hour too late. Our driveway is pretty steep from house level down to street level and the highlander was second in the driveway which leaves it closest to the street. When I woke up the water was already high but with the angle of the driveway the front end of the Highlander was high and dry. The back end was what was in trouble. I opened the front door which was still above water level only to find the rear floor boards were wet to the touch. I started it up and drove it into the neighbors yard where it was level and well above the flood waters.

Once the rain stopped I started working on it. It seems that all the little rubber plugs they put in the bottom of cars are not water tight and as the water came up they allowed water to enter the floor of the car. The spare tire wheel well had the most as it was lowest due to angle of the driveway. Then the rear seat floor boards had about a 1/2 inch of water above the carpet which quickly dispersed throughout the car once I got it up on level ground.

Bottom line is the carpet was wet. Seats were dry, no water on doors, no water on the dash, no water anywhere but on the floor. I worked my way through college in a body shop and know all to well how to remove seats and carpets so just as soon as the rain stopped the entire interior came out so we could get the carpet out and allow the carpet to dry.

I was very surprised to find so many cables under the carpet some of which wired up to a silver box located a couple of inches above the deck just behind the rear seat. It says JBL on it and some inquiries tell me it is the amplifier for the fancy radio that comes in the Highlander.

Here is the part where I get to my questions now that I have explained the circumstances and extent of the water level. Everything works just like before the rain with the exception of the stereo. left and right front speakers just pop and buzz and the rear ones play music but not very strong and with poor quality.

I'm like 99.99999% sure the amplifier never got wet. The carpet got wet but amplifier sits well above carpet level. But for sure the cables between the head unit in the dash and the amplifier which run under the carpet were well soaked and when I started up the Highlander to move it to higher ground the stereo was on. Do you think that is when the damage was done? Do you think it is just the amp or could the head unit be bad as well?

The dealer can't explain it but there is a different amp if you have leather seat as compared to cloth seats. One part number for cloth. One part number for leather. Does anyone know the difference? the dealer doesn't.

They want $1100.00 for a new amp which is an expensive parts swapping expense especially if it isn't really bad. Remember I'm darn sure it never got wet. Is there any place that will check these amplifiers out and verify it is bad before replacing it?

Has anyone got any ideas?

I've called a couple of dealers and got some pretty silly information. For example one told me it is their policy to replace all seatbelts and seatbelt tensioners. I ask why as they never got wet? Their response was there was moisture in the car and you don't want to take a chance on seat belts. They also said the replace the amplifier without question. I ask do they check it before changing it and the answer was no. They told me they always replace all the speakers. I said but they never got wet. Their answer was it is just their policy. This entire exchange and I heard similar from several dealers makes me think flood damage repair is a racket. Most people have insurance and if insurance will pay for it the dealers are going to run up the bill.

So I'm thinking since I've done most of the work already I'm on the right track. I just need to find some help on the radio. Any and all input is greatly appreciated and I'd like to extend my thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to this post.

I've got all the carpet clean and dry and ready to go back in the car. If it wasn't for the radio problem this would only be a bad experience. But the radio is trying to make it a darned expensive bad experience.

Reply to
Dan Ward

If any connecters in the wire looms got wet, something may have shorted.

Also, make sure that the speaker cones are not wet.

United Radio in New York is Toyota's warranty repair facility. They also do retail customer pay work. I'd bet that they can check out the amplifier and/or radio for a nominal charge.

I would immediately change the fluids on any drivetrain components that were submerged or even partially submerged, like differentials and transmission, and as cheap "insurance," also change the engine oil. Make sure that the CV joint boots are not holding water.

The reason that the dealership replaces the seat belt assemblies is that some rely on a pendulum or centrifugal device to lock the retractors, and any time spent in an ultra-humid environment could keep them from locking up in a crash. I would suspect that insurance covers flood damage most of the time so owners do not object to having stuff replaced just for good measure.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray's suggestion about United was a good one. I had forgotten about them. I don't think they'll charge a lot to test the system, and at $1100 for a JBL amp it is well worth it!

However, for that same $1100, you can put one HELL of an aftermarket system, complete with subs, amps, and a new head unit. And, you can probably upgrade from those JBL speakers, to boot. If you do the work yourself it will take a Saturday afternoon and prbably less than $900. Shoot, you can even throw in a couple sets of MB Quarts or something good and get some REAL sound!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'd first check the leads to the speakers to make sure they're dry and not shorting, and pop the top off the amplifier and spray the radio's chassis thoroughly with canned compressed air, and then follow up drying it with a hair dryer (set only at tepid warmth!) Then try the radio again.

Reply to
mack

Yeah, that too, but that takes all the fun out of looking for a new system, listening to so many thump boxes you have a headache, wearing out the stripe on the Master Card, and then spending a weekend fitting, cutting, modifying, making 15 trips to Wal-Mart and Radio Shack and then BLOWING YOU WINDOWS OUT when it's finished!

Or, you could just pay somebody. Might as well just fix the amp...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I would think some connectors for the audio system must have got wet. If your lucky maybe they are still wet and that's the problem. If your not lucky and something is damaged try a local shop that does repair work on that type of electronics.

Good Luck

Reply to
Danny G.

Look for an amp in the wreckers. A friens had radio/cb problems with his Motorcycle system after getting caught in the rain. ONE of the connectors was filled with water

Reply to
sqdancerLynn