2002 Corolla Brake problem/etc.

I have this annoying problem with my Corolla. Every day I back out of the garage-stop and then drive forward. Now the first time I brake I hear a crank/metallic noise .. but no more noise of subsequent braking. This happens again if I stop-reverse-stop and then go forward. The dealer said that there was some clip which was loose and I shouldn't worry about it ?? I took out the tires and closely inspected the brake but couldn't see any loose clip.

Secondly recently I've occasionally started hearing squealing noise when I make a sharp right-turn ??

And thirdly, sometimes when its colder (I'm in WI) when I shift the gear from reverse to forward the car lurches a bit as soon as I release the brakes. Is this a diferent problem or is it somehow linked to the brake ?

Thanks in advance for an advice ..

Reply to
Indu Prakash

"Indu Prakash" wrote in news:fArgf.350$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

Is the noise coming from the front or the rear brakes?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

If you are hearing a whining and clanking noise that sounds almost like a distant vacuum cleaner from the front of the car for a few seconds and you have ABS, it is the normal operation of the ABS system doing a self-check of the actuator.

If the squaeling is coming from under the hood, then it is possible the belt that drives the power steering pump is slipping. If it is coming from the tires, you need an alignment or your tires are under-inflated, or both.

The lurching is normal in colder weather because the engine tends to idle a little higher until it is warmed up.

Reply to
Ray O

I have 99 corolla and I am also getting that clunking sound from the brakes after I back up and then press the brake when going forward. It seems to have started after I replaced the original brake pads when they were worn out. You can actually try to reproduce the sound with the wheels off the ground rotate the wheels like going in reverse and then going forward then get someone to step on the brakes. It seems like the pads shifts when you reverse and then when you start moving forward and then brake the pads move towards the front and then hit part of the caliper thus making the clunking sound. Its been like that on my Corolla for almost 2 years now, no problem I believe except for the annoying sound.

Reply to
<reportspam