2002 Corolla CE w/automatic (VIN: 1NXBR...) Driver side drive axle

Hey,

I have a 2002 Corolla (automatic) and was told around a year ago my CV joint was leaking but the dealer wanted an arm and a leg and I didn't have the money then. Strangely, I hear no sounds that suggest a CV joint is bad and I called a dealer in Fresno, CA (Bingham Toyota) who quoted $430 for the driver side drive axle and $110 for 1 hour of labor, assuming it takes 1 hour.

Then he looked in the computer and said for 2002 that Toyota doesn't even make or have in stock a driver side drive axle assembly! You have to be kidding... Ray O, can you confirm that?? Or anybody know a dealer I can call that stocks parts??

Secondly..

The dealer even suggests going after market because the part is much cheaper. I'm finding the part for $60-$200 online so wondering if it's even the same thing?? I also wonder if it's wise to have a passenger side that is still OEM and a driver side that's after market? I know how most feel about OEM so I am willing to pay the $430 if need be.

Anyway, just curious where I could maybe find this part. The dealer here said '0 in the nation' but surely Toyota/OEM didn't just stop making parts for this 2002 Corolla!

Reply to
mrsteveo

It seems odd that a 6 year old car would already need a CV joint, unless the car ahas a lot of miles.

I thought Bingham Toyota was in Clovis (at least it was when I worked in the San Francisco regional office).

Sorry, I don't have access to Toyota's parts system any more. In my experience, when you can't find a part for a relatively new car, the parts person is looking for the wrong part name, the part is being re-designed, there is very high demand for the part, or the supplier has a problem.

Since you described the part as leaking, with no noise, that suggests that the boot around the CV joint is torn or worn, and the grease is being flung on the underbody and that the CV joint itself is still in decent condition. You can try to find an aftermarket CV joint boot - this way you will still have the original CV joint and just the boot that contains the grease is aftermarket. Even if you replace the OEM CV joint with an aftermarket one, you should not have any problems, even if you replace just one side.

Bottom line, look for an aftermarket CV joint boot - it will be a lot cheaper than the entire CV joint.

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry, yes it is in Clovis, CA. :-)

MIchael Toyota is in Fresno.