2002 Corolla OEM Rotor question

Hi guys,

Since the dealer wants $100+ for each rotor, I am wondering...

  1. Who makes OEM rotors for Toyota? Specifically on the 2002 Corolla...

I heard it's best to go OEM on brake parts which I am OK with doing but just wondering if the rotors I could purchase at Kragen which I think are Raybestos are any better/OEM like since they're half the price.

I was quoted around $411 for new rotors, pads, etc... the entire thing. They're running a special now for $199 for the whole thing which does not include rotors -- only machining the rotors.

I have no experience but I heard machining the rotors isn't the way to go. I heard they'll just warp again in 6 months. Is this true? If it's not true -- $199 sounds like a great bargain. If it is true, I think it's best to replace them.

FWIW, I was driving over the Siskiyou Summit from Medford, Oregon to Fresno, CA which is 478 miles and some of that milage was over rather steep summits. Wondering if that contributed to the problem?

My rotors are very warped however, my pads are in stellar condition...

Thanks for any insight.

Reply to
mrsteveo

I paid $400 for a Meineke brake job 15 years ago on my Corolla GTS. For $400, using OEM Toyota parts, I'd do it, unless I were doing the job myself...

I can't remember if OEM parts are Akebobno, or...? But they are good.

Reply to
Hachiroku

mrsteveo, I have turned many rotors and drums for people and warped rotors causes can come from a few factors such as manufacturing, maintenance practices (lug bolt torque), and driving habits. Sometimes, resurfacing solves the problem, other times not. I found some information that I am cutting and pasting below for all to reference. It may answer alot of questions about a relatively common problem. I would not take the "brake bedding" area too seriously IMHO. When components have been replaced the best advice I can give is to just drive your vehicle normally. Nothing special. Trying to break in brakes by the untrained can break them.

different then the rest of the rotor. When subjected to thermal stress (or mechanical stress from unevenly or over-tightened lug nuts) the rotor warps. Turning or truing the rotor will alleviate warps that exist when the rotor is cold, but will not solve the problem when hot, the uneven temper still exists within the substrate. The only permanent solution is to replace the rotor. The manufacturing cost of brake rotors is mainly related to the length of the cool down time during the casting process. Cheap rotors are removed from the sand molds too soon and generally develop uneven temper. Expensive rotors are left overnight to cool in the molds, allowing them to temper very evenly. This extra time in the molds eats up the foundry's production capacity, so the parts are more expensive.

Reply to
user

To answer the OP's original post:

Toyota's OEM suppliers are Akebono and Aisin.

Stick to OEM and find another dealer.

Reply to
Ray O

The 2 largest brake parts suppliers for Toyota are Akebono and Aisin.

In my 29 years of experience working with Toyotas using non OEM brake parts is a hit or miss proposition. Sometimes aftermarket brake parts are fine, and sometimes they cause excessive pad or rotor wear, excessive brake dust, squealing and groaning, and poor braking performance. I've done brake jobs on cars using aftermarket pads, and they often do not fit as well as OEM parts, making the job take more time. Rather than experiment, I prefer OEM brake parts.

Machined rotors tend to give pulsation within a year so IMO, you are better off replacing rotors than machining them.

If you ride the brake pedal over long downhill grades, there is a pretty good chance that you will warp the rotors, especially if you do this in rainy conditions where water splashing on the rotors can cool them rapidly. It is better to downshift for long downhill grades than ride the brakes. I used to drive in the hills around the SF Bay Area, Tahoe, Yosemite, VT, and MT routinely without any warpage.

Reply to
Ray O